Tentative Budget Plan
- Budget Talks Drag On. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;4/12/2006, Vol. 356 Issue 32359, p31
The article reports on the continuation of the negotiations between Iowa Governor Tom Vilsack and lawmakers on the final fiscal 2007 budget in April 2006. The proposed fiscal 2007 budget is approximately 5 billion dollars. Democrats, including Vilsack, and Republicans have yet to settle their...
- Strapped States Face Hard Choices on Tax Hikes, Budget Cuts. Carvlin, Elizabeth; Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;1/14/2004, Vol. 347 Issue 31800, p26
Reports on the state budget for the Midwest. Budget deficit of Illinois; Proposal of Iowa governor Tom Vilsack for tax increases to augment its budget deficit; Two primary factors that will affect the budget of Michigan; Proposed two-year bonding package for capital projects in Missouri.
- Iowa Gov.: No Special Session. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;4/29/2004, Vol. 348 Issue 31873, p2
Reports that Iowa's Democratic Governor Tom Vilsack will not call a legislative session despite differences between the budget he proposed and the version adopted by the Legislature. Vilsack's criticism against the effect of budget on the state's bond rating; Legislature's rejection of...
- Both Sides Warned. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;3/31/2004, Vol. 347 Issue 31853, p43
Reports that spending cuts and tax increase may be needed to counter the Iowa legislature and governor Tom Vilsack's use of money from various state funds, according to legislator David Vaudt. Overall fiscal position of the state; Credit rating of the state; Tax increase to the balance the...
- Tax Increase Proposed To Boost School Funding. Reid, Karla Scoon // Education Week;1/21/2004, Vol. 23 Issue 19, p23
This article informs that governor Tom Vilsack of Iowa is proposing restructuring the Hawkeye State's tax system to generate revenue to keep school funding on course. Otherwise, the Democrat predicted a grim future for Iowa during his condition of the State Address on January 13, 2004 if...
- Vilsack: Congress should do its job and let nation's farmers do theirs. Roberson, Roy // Delta Farm Press;3/22/2013, Vol. 70 Issue 12, p18
The article looks at an address given by U.S. Secretary of Agriculture Tom Vilsack in March 2013, in which he urged the U.S. Congress to end the budget sequester, give government agencies a budget, and pass a workable five-year farm plan.
- Vilsack: It's Raining. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;2/13/2002, Vol. 339 Issue 31324, p29
Reports that Iowa governor Tom Vilsack informed lawmakers about consequences the state might face due to its inability to balance its 2002 budget. Use of rainy-day reserve; Budget reductions introduced by the state.
- Iowa Joins Ranks of States to Restore Voting Rights to Felons. // PA Times;Jul2005, Vol. 28 Issue 7, p1
Reports on the issuance of an executive order that restores voter eligibility to thousands of disenfranchised Iowans by Governor Tom Vilsack joined by a bipartisan group of legislators. Criticism on felon disfranchisement across the country for unfairly excluding citizens from the electoral...
- Teacher Plan Gets Financial Boost. Reid, Karla Scoon // Education Week;8/10/2005, Vol. 24 Issue 44, p24
The article reports that during the 2005 legislative session, Iowa lawmakers revived the state's initiative on teacher quality. They also responded to Governor Tom Vilsack's call for improving the quality and availability of preschool and child care. The teacher-quality initiative, which had...