GOING WITH GAS
- TRAINING TOWER MAXIMIZES TIME, DOLLARS. Crowe, Robert // Fire Chief;Apr2006, Vol. 50 Issue 4, p54
The article describes the Fire Facilities Lieutenant fire training tower of the Saint Tammany Fire District Number 11 of Pearl River, Louisiana which it acquired in February 2002. The training tower has three stories and offers a controlled environment to enable firefighters to train safely. It...
- PLAN YOURâ€¦ TRAINING TOWER. // Fire Chief;Apr2006, Vol. 50 Issue 4, p60
The article advises fire chiefs and fire department officers on how to plan and design a customized training building. First steps include visiting training towers and interviewing tower owners. A building that has strength, low maintenance, safety and realism is a good choice. Burn rooms should...
- PREFIRE PLANNING. // Fire Engineering;Jan2007, Vol. 160 Issue 1, p42
The article focuses on prefire planning techniques for fire departments. A survey of regional fire departments' prefire planning techniques are presented. The use of mobile data terminals (MDT) to record preplans and tactical surveys (TS) of occupancies are discussed. Details related to fire...
- BATTLE FATIGUE. Colletti, Dominic // Fire Chief;Apr2006, Vol. 50 Issue 4, p52
The article discusses the debate surrounding the safety of the use of acquired structures for live-fire training in the United States. The reusable burn building has played an important role in firefighter training. The five issues related to changes in structure fire operation environment are...
- The effective postfire critique. Montagna, Frank C. // Fire Engineering;Jul96, Vol. 149 Issue 7, p63
Discusses the benefits of a postfire critique. Firefighters' learning from their own mistakes; Prevention of recurrence of mistake in other firefighters; Presentation of hypothetical postfire critique.
- Farm Bureau sponsors firefighter. // Lakelander (Whitney, TX);4/6/2011, Vol. 26 Issue 14, p6
The article reports that the Bosque County Farm Bureau will sponsor a volunteer fireman to attend the Annual Municipal Fire Training School to be held at the Texas A&M University campus on July 24-29, 2011.
- Fire departments encouraged to pursue training for... // Fire Engineering;Mar1998, Vol. 151 Issue 3, p36
Highlights the two federal training programs for fire fighting in the United States. Details on the first-responder terrorism-response training authorized under the Antiterrorism and Effective Death Penalty Act of 1996; Sponsors of the second federal program authorized under the 1996 Nunn/Lugar...
- Smoke divers program: Self-preservation the driving force. DeLia, Nicholas A. // Fire Engineering;Mar1998, Vol. 151 Issue 3, p149
Features the Connecticut Fire Academy's Smoke Drivers Program. Background on the conceptualization of the program; Description of the initial program; Techniques demonstrated in the classroom segment of the program; Out-of-classroom segment; Air consumption and physical exertion.
- LESSONS LEARNED FROM MASK CONFIDENCE TRAINING. Avillo, Anthony; Nasta, Mike // Fire Engineering;Aug2000, Vol. 153 Issue 8, p73
Reports on the lessons that firefighters learn from attending training courses. Importance of wearing protective equipment properly; Need to crawl if seeing is not possible; Use of tools to probe ahead; Ability to maintain contact with the wall and use a consistent search pattern.