A Mantra is Only as Good as Its Believers
- Fighting the flames. // Crisis Response Journal;Dec2008, Vol. 5 Issue 1, p4
A photograph of the firefighter of the U.S. Marine Corps having their training exercise at the Marine Corps Air Station Futenma in Okinawa, Japan, on September 25, 2008 is presented.
- Tower of fire constructed. Briggs, Mike // Marines;Nov98, Vol. 27 Issue 11, p10
Highlights the construction project of the United States Marine Corps for a training tower for firefighters in Terciera Island near Azores. Location of the island; Goals for the construction of the project; Benefits offered by the project.
- A Leader's Book Club. Wilmoth, Janet // Fire Chief;Feb2008, Vol. 52 Issue 2, p6
The author reflects on the books that could enhance not just the work attitude of fire fighters in the U.S. but also their personality. She discusses several books used by the U.S. Marine Corps Base in Quantico, Virginia that impart a sense of value and trait, increase professional knowledge,...
- Tom's Trumpet. Brace, Tom // Minnesota Fire Chief;2012/2013 Directory, p80
The author reflects on initiatives of the Minnesota Board of Firefighter Traning and Education in educating the state, the attitude of the fire service department in rendering extra assignments without additional compensation, and the participation at the 2012 Annual Conference of the Minnesota...
- DON'T LET THE TAIL WAG THE DOG. Gasaway, Richard B. // Fire Engineering;Oct2003, Vol. 156 Issue 10, p16
Focuses on the lack of understanding among officers and firefighters regarding the role everyone plays in making team a success. Job responsibilities of volunteer fire chiefs; Job descriptions for officers; Need to provide training and the duties and responsibilities of officers.
- Out of sight shouldn't be out of chief's mind. McCormack, Jim // Fire Chief;Apr2003, Vol. 47 Issue 4, p20
Discusses factors to be considered by a fire chief when training firefighters. Support of firefighters through training; Development of a solid fire department training program; Responsibility of the fire chief to the members of the fire department and their families.
- Tom's Trumpet. Brace, Tom // Minnesota Fire Chief;Sep/Oct2011, Vol. 48 Issue 1, p48
The author emphasizes the importance of training in the fire service. He argues that good training is critical to the fire service and notes major efforts should be made to provide the resources to provide this training. In view of this, the author stresses that the Minnesota Fire Chiefs...
- Trapped by Flashover: A Survivor's Journey. von Appen, Mark // Fire Engineering;Dec2010, Vol. 163 Issue 12, p41
The article analyzes the experiences of Sacramento City Fire Department (SFD) captain Jeff Helvin when he was trapped with three firefighters by flashover inside a residential structure in Sacramento, California. It says that the incident shows the need to supplement the fire survival training...
- FRI Preview: Survivors and High Reliability Organizations. Rukavina, John // Fire Chief Expert Blog;7/9/2012, p2
The article discusses the topic "Who Lives, Who Dies: Survivors and High Reliability Organizations" to be presented by fire chief John Rukavina at the Fire-Rescue International meeting on August 2, 2012. It cites several questions including the possibility of training firefighters in reacting to...