We Hate Gym: Student Alienation From Physical Education
- What Did You Learn in School Today? Mustain, Wendy C. // Teaching Elementary Physical Education;Nov98, Vol. 9 Issue 6, p4
Relates the experience of the author on physical education. Interactions between teachers and students; Incorporation of physical fitness program in classes; Role of physical educators in improving student learning.
- Patterns. Silva, Ricardo S // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);11/04/2000, Vol. 321 Issue 7269, p1165
Discusses the author's experiences at an introductory martial arts lesson. Details of exercises practiced during the class; Effect of the unusual physical exertion on the author; His efforts to perceive the patterns of movement involved in martial arts.
- The Physical Activity of Fifth-Grade Students During Physical Education Classes. Simons-Morton, Bruce G.; Taylor, Wendell C.; Snider, Sharon A.; Huang, Iris W. // American Journal of Public Health;Feb1993, Vol. 83 Issue 2, p262
One hundred fifty-seven fifth-grade students in 20 of the 355 elementary schools in one Texas county were systematically observed during physical education classes. On average, the students spent 8.5% of class time in moderate to vigorous physical activity, 23.3% in minimal activity, and 68.1%...
- Boys' Participation Styles in a Middle School Physical Education Team Sports Unit. Griffin, Patricia S. // Journal of Teaching in Physical Education;Jan1985, Vol. 4 Issue 2, p100
The purpose of this study was to identify boys' participation styles in a middle-school physical education team sports unit. Through the use of class observations, formal interviews, and informal discussions with the teachers, five styles of participation were identified: (a) machos, (b) junior...
- PredicciÃ³n de las razones del alumnado para ser disciplinado en educaciÃ³n fÃsica. Martínez Galindo, Celestina; Cervelló Gimeno, Eduardo; Moreno Murcia, Juan Antonio // Revista Latinoamericana de PsicologÃa;2012, Vol. 44 Issue 3, p41
The aim of this study was to determine relationships between the discipline strategies used by teachers in the classroom: perception of motivational climate, and goal orientations as well as the student's reasons have influence on them to be disciplined. A sample of 1126 physical education...
- Academic Learning Time in Physical Education Classes for Mentally Handicapped Students. Gagnon, Jocelyn; Touslgnant, Marielle; Martel, Denis // Adapted Physical Activity Quarterly;Jul1989, Vol. 6 Issue 3, p280
This study employed the Academic Learning Time model to describe the behavior of moderately mentally handicapped students in their physical education classes. The concept of academic learning time (ALT) is defined as the proportion of time a student is engaged in a task related to the learning...
- DRAFT MEASURES OF THE PHYSICAL EDUCATION CLASSES FOR HEALTH IMPROVEMENT OF THE STUDENTS IN THE PRIMARY AND SECONDARY SCHOOLS IN THE REPUBLIC OF MACEDONIA. Dimovski, Tane; Paunova, Daniela // Activities in Physical Education & Sport;2013, Vol. 3 Issue 1, p104
Each physical activity in the modern living is imposing itself as the imperative for a good health. For a successful introduction of permanent habits for physical activity within the youth, we need to start at the youngest age. The subject Physical and health education in the curriculum is the...
- Going to School in Israel. Hagler, Gina // Faces;Dec2004, Vol. 21 Issue 4, p18
The article presents information about schools in Israel. The duration of school hours in Israel has about the same number of hours as in the United States, but classes are held six days a week. Students study math, language skills, science, history, Jewish studies from a cultural and national...
- BALANCING ACT. MURRI, JESSICA // Boise Weekly;2/19/2014, Vol. 22 Issue 35, p23
The article discusses the yoga classes which are held in West Boise that follow the SUP trends including exercises on a yoga mat for a 12-foot stand-up paddleboard.