Preservice Teachers' Reflections and Knowledge Development in a Field-Based Elementary Physical Education Methods Course
- Theoretical Perspectives on Knowledge and Learning and a Student Teacher's Pedagogical Content Knowledge of Dividing and Sequencing Subject Matter. Rovegno, Inez // Journal of Teaching in Physical Education;Apr1995, Vol. 14 Issue 3, p284
This study describes and interprets (a) a student teacher's decisions about task content and content progression across an elementary and high school sport unit and (b) those aspects of his pedagogical content knowledge that he used to explain and justify his decisions. The student teacher's...
- The Strategic Application and Assessment of Social Justice in PETE Programs: A Primer. Culp, Brian // Physical Educator;Fall2011, Vol. 68 Issue 3, p130
Current demographics in the United States have made issues pertaining to social justice central to the evolution of physical education as a discipline. With this knowledge, the time to refocus efforts in respect to ensuring equity regardless of ability, race, class, gender, sexuality, or...
- Teachers' Questions Answered. // Physical Educator - Journal of Physical Education New Zealand;May2007, Vol. 40 Issue 1, p3
The article presents questions and answers related to teaching physical education to children, including questions about physical education curriculum and how to make sure children come to class prepared.
- Let's Camp (To Be Better Teachers). Kimbrough, Sandy // Teaching Elementary Physical Education;Jul2006, Vol. 17 Issue 4, p40
The article discusses the value of working as camp counselors and directors. A survey found that camps implement recommendations from the "National Standards for Beginning Physical Education Teachers" and "Guidelines for Teacher Preparation in Physical Education." Topics include content...
- Use of the Movement Process Category System in Planning Instruction. Carnes, Martha; Potter, Diane L. // Journal of Teaching in Physical Education;Apr1987, Vol. 6 Issue 3, p320
The article looks at the development of physical education curriculum. Application of the Purpose Process Curriculum Framework (PPCF) to the curriculum development process is discussed. The physical education teacher's role in the learning process includes guidance of the learning process and...
- A Statewide Survey of Adapted Physical Education Service Delivery and Teacher In-Service Training. Chandler, Judy Potter; Greene, J. Leon // Adapted Physical Activity Quarterly;Jun1995, Vol. 12 Issue 3, p262
The purpose of the study was to examine student placements, use of least restrictive environment (LRE) options, teachers' perceived needs, curriculum content, and activity options in regular physical education (RPE) and adapted physical education (APE) during a period of restructuring from...
- Student teachers: Incidents that lead them to confirm or question their career choice. Jones, Rhys // Physical Educator;Early Winter92, Vol. 49 Issue 4, p205
Studies incidents that lead physical education student teachers to re-evaluate their career choice. Influence of teaching practice experience on student teachers; Call for the improvement of student teaching practices; Evaluation of student teaching.
- Systematic observation training for preservice physical education teachers. Behets, Daniel // Physical Educator;Spring93, Vol. 50 Issue 2, p87
Studies observation training for physical education student teachers in the United States. Observation systems used in the study; Observations of student teachers before and after an observation training period; Focus of attention of student teachers; Differences in observed behavior.
- Chapter 6: Assessing Knowledge. Tjeerdsma, Bonnie L.; Metzler, Michael W.; Walker, Theresa M. // Journal of Teaching in Physical Education;Jul2000, Vol. 19 Issue 4, p476
Examines the knowledge areas in the Physical Education Teacher Education assessment program. Level of knowledge on physical education content and movement; Analysis of the written final exams from the introductory methods courses; Competency of the knowledge standard of student teachers with...