Matching the Self: The Paradoxical Case and Life History of a Late Career Teacher/Coach
- Updating Your Coaching Toolbox: Bridging the Gap Between Coaching Research and Practice. // Future Focus (Ohio Association for Health, Physical Education, R;May2011, Vol. 32 Issue 1, p14
The article offers author's insights on how to reduce the gaps between coaching practice and research such as the use of journals on coaching research and implementation of recent research coaching results.
- Origins of the teacher-coach role: Idealism, convenience, and unworkability. Figone, Albert J. // Physical Educator;Fall94, Vol. 51 Issue 3, p148
Examines the historical origins of the dual roles of teacher/coaches. Problems induced by the dual roles of teacher/coach; Rationalization for incorporating athletics with physical education; Unworkability of the model in education.
- Understanding Differences in Role Stressors, Resilience, and Burnout in Teacher/Coaches and Non-Coaching Teachers. Richards, K. Andrew R.; Templin, Thomas J.; Levesque-Bristol, Chantal; Blankenship, Bonnie Tjeerdsma // Journal of Teaching in Physical Education;Jul2014, Vol. 33 Issue 3, p383
The constructs of role stressors, burnout, and resilience have been the topic of numerous research studies in physical education and education more generally. Specific to physical education, much effort has been devoted to the study of teacher/coach role conflict. However, no prior studies have...
- What Coaches Value about Coaching Knowledge: A Comparative Study Across a Range of Domains. dos Santos, Sofia Figueiredo Marques; Mesquita, Isabel Maria Ribeiro; dos Santos Graca, Amandio Braga; Rosado, Antonio Fernando Boleto // International Journal of Applied Sports Sciences;2010, Vol. 22 Issue 2, p96
This study aimed to provide a better understanding of what coaches value about the knowledge necessary to effectively accomplish their job tasks across a range of domains. Coaches' perceptions related to knowledge areas were analyzed regarding the influence of professional experience and...
- Student Coaches' Knowledge, Attitudes, Skills, and Behaviors Regarding the Female Athlete Triad. Lassiter, Jill W.; Watt, Celia A. // Physical Educator;Fall2007, Vol. 64 Issue 3, p142
The female athlete triad can cause acute and chronic health problems for physically active females. This study describes student coaches preparedness to participate in primary prevention and intervention of the triad; specifically, (n=61) senior Physical Education and Sport majors' knowledge,...
- A critical need in the professional preparation of physical educators and coaches: A course in... Conn, James H. // Physical Educator;Spring90, Vol. 47 Issue 2, p27
Discusses a plausible rationale for incorporating an undergraduate sport law course into college and university physical education and coaching programs. Reflection on compensation of awards; Social aspects; Parameters of legal duties; Benefits of legal education.
- HERE BELOW. Masin, Herman L. // Coach & Athletic Director;Mar2001, Vol. 70 Issue 8, p4
Presents an update on athletic coaching in the United States as of March 2001.
- Message from the PERFORMANCE SERVICES MANAGING DIRECTOR. Ingram, Doug // Olympic Coach;Winter2008, Vol. 20 Issue 1, p3
The article discusses various reports published within the issue, including one comparing elite coaches from 1988 to those in 2007 and another by Krista Austin on the practical application of the concepts of heart rate training.
- Preparing the Coaching Ground. Ramsay, Graham // Coach & Athletic Director;Dec2003, Vol. 73 Issue 5, p18
Presents tips for preparing the coaching ground. Organization; Squad coaching; Personal coaching.