Preparation and Attitudes of Kansas High School Head Coaches
- Contextual Hoops and Hurdles: Workplace Conditions in Secondary Physical Education. Stroot, Sandra A.; Collier, Connie; O'Sullivan, Mary; England, Kathy // Journal of Teaching in Physical Education;Jul1994, Vol. 13 Issue 4, p342
The article presents a study of physical education teachers in 11 high schools in the U.S. to examine several factors including the importance of workplace conditions and environment. The study included 3 men and 8 women of which 7 (3 men and 4 women) were also coaches. Data were collected from...
- A Systematic Observation of More and Less Successful High School Tennis Coaches. Claxton, David B. // Journal of Teaching in Physical Education;Jul1988, Vol. 7 Issue 4, p302
The purpose of this study was to describe and analyze systematically the coaching behaviors of more and less successful high school boys' tennis coaches during practice sessions. The Arizona State University Observation Instrument, consisting of 14 behavior categories, was used to compile data...
- High School Swimming Beyond the Points on the Scoreboard. Clougherty, Kevin // ASCA Newsletter;2008, Vol. 2008 Issue 10, p18
The article offers suggestions on how to coach student athletes. It suggests the significance of using the structure and discipline of the sport as a vehicle to teach student athletes with valuable lessons of life. It is also essential to make sure that students must understand that what they do...
- Maximizing High School Workouts. Miller, Adam // Coach & Athletic Director;Jan2005, Vol. 74 Issue 6, p33
Focuses on the importance of assuring efficiency in the workout time and design of high school physical education programs. Prioritization of athletes' lifting and conditioning sessions and the components of fitness that athletes wanted to work on; Factors considered by coaches to improve...
- A critical need in the professional preparation of physical educators and coaches: A course in... Conn, James H. // Physical Educator;Spring90, Vol. 47 Issue 2, p27
Discusses a plausible rationale for incorporating an undergraduate sport law course into college and university physical education and coaching programs. Reflection on compensation of awards; Social aspects; Parameters of legal duties; Benefits of legal education.
- HERE BELOW. Masin, Herman L. // Coach & Athletic Director;Mar2001, Vol. 70 Issue 8, p4
Presents an update on athletic coaching in the United States as of March 2001.
- Message from the PERFORMANCE SERVICES MANAGING DIRECTOR. Ingram, Doug // Olympic Coach;Winter2008, Vol. 20 Issue 1, p3
The article discusses various reports published within the issue, including one comparing elite coaches from 1988 to those in 2007 and another by Krista Austin on the practical application of the concepts of heart rate training.
- Preparing the Coaching Ground. Ramsay, Graham // Coach & Athletic Director;Dec2003, Vol. 73 Issue 5, p18
Presents tips for preparing the coaching ground. Organization; Squad coaching; Personal coaching.
- The Expanded Role of the High School Strength Coach: Becoming a More Valuable Asset to Your Athletic Program. Vanderbush, Kevin // Strength & Conditioning Journal (Allen Press);Aug2006, Vol. 28 Issue 4, p68
This column discusses ways that a high school strength coach can have a positive influence on his or her school's athletic program. Along with strength, conditioning, and athletic-enhancement responsibilities, a strength coach can add value to his or her position by taking on the mental and...