Bridging the Gap from Student to Coach: Experienced Coaches Speak Out
- A Matter of Perspective. Malcolm, Mark W. // Coach & Athletic Director;Oct2000, Vol. 70 Issue 3, p44
Discusses how junior high school coaches can educate both their players and their parents .
- Forget the Gipper. Manos, Keith // Teacher Magazine;Aug/Sep2003, Vol. 15 Issue 1, p42
Presents the author's views on how the perception of coaches in high schools has changed. Lack of adoration for coaches; Assumption that parents expect too much from coaches; Frustration which coaches deal with on a regular basis; Speculation that too much pressure is placed on coaches.
- Athletics, superstitions, and education: The coaching dilemma. Watson, Betty C.; Tharpe, Sam // Physical Educator;Late Winter90, Vol. 47 Issue 1, p52
Looks at the role of school coaches as educators and superstitions in athletics. Educational objectives of coaches in comparison with other educators; Importance for coaches' non-response to superstitious beliefs and practices among players by attempting to substitute a framework based on...
- The Relationship Between Coaching Efficacy and Organizational Commitment in University Coaches. // Journal of Sport & Exercise Psychology;Jun2001 Supplement, Vol. 23 Issue 2, pS19
Presents an abstract of the study 'The Relationships Between Coaching Efficacy and Organizational Commitment in University Coaches,' by P.J. Sullivan and A. Kent, presented at the 2001 conference of the North American Society for the Psychology of Sport and Physical Activity (NASPSPA).
- NCCP CCI(L2T) and CCI-Advanced (T2T) certification/evaluation update. // Cross Connections;Nov2012, p8
The article offers information regarding the Career Coaching International (CCI) certification in Canada.
- 8 Steps to a Coaching Philosophy. Parsh, David // Coach & Athletic Director;Apr2007, Vol. 76 Issue 9, p56
The article reports on the philosophical elements of coaching. The author focuses on ways coaches should treat the athletes in their charge. It is suggested that preparing a clear coaching philosophy can be beneficial to the coach, the players, and their parents and is, in some ways, more...
- Ten Qualities of a Successful Coach. Pavlovic, Steve // Coach & Athletic Director;Apr2007, Vol. 76 Issue 9, p58
The article reports on methods of coaching. The author offers suggestions on how to coach youth sports. It is recommended that coaches maintain patience, discipline, and fairness in their dealings with young athletes. The relationship between coaches and athletes is discussed. Tips are also...
- Characteristics Contributing to the Success of a Sports Coach. Frost, Jefrey L. // Sport Journal;Jan2009, Vol. 12 Issue 1, p1
Identifying particular characteristics (qualities and abilities) of successful sports coaches could offer other coaches help in improving their performance. Toward this end, 15 high school coaches completed a survey on 17 possible such characteristics, ranking 5 of them above the rest (â‰¥...
- Advanced Coach Education: The Evolution of the National Coaching Institute Diploma and What it Means to Canada's Coaches. Lavoie, Jean-Philippe // Coaches Plan/Plan du Coach;Spring2010, Vol. 17 Issue 1, p37
The article discusses the evolution of the National Coaching Certification Program (NCCP), as well as the National Coaching Institute (NCI) in Canada. It cites the new framework and national standards being implemented by the Coaching Association of Canada (CAC) to shift the NCCP towards a...