Toward a Model of Teacher Socialization in Physical Education: The Subjective Warrant, Recruitment, and Teacher Education
- The Influence of Teacher Education on Preservice Development: Beyond a Custodial Orientation. Graham, Kathy C. // Quest (00336297);Apr1991, Vol. 43 Issue 1, p1
Of increasing interest to educational researchers is the process of learning to teach and the role that teacher education plays. The teacher-socialization program of research has provided the most inclusive theoretical structure for such investigation. Unfortunately, this program has been...
- The socialization strategies of first-year physical... Williams, Jacqueline A.; Williamson, Kay M. // Physical Educator;Spring98, Vol. 55 Issue 2, p78
Presents a study that examined the socialization strategies utilized by physical education teachers to succeed in their first year of teaching. Methodology of the study; Data collection; Obstacles encountered by teachers; Findings of the study.
- Exploring the Meaning of Practicum Experiences for PETE Students. Hodge, Samuel R.; Tannehill, Deborah; Kluge, Mary Ann // Adapted Physical Activity Quarterly;Oct2003, Vol. 20 Issue 4, p381
This phenomenological qualitative study explored the meaning of practicum experiences for physical education teacher education (PETE) students. Participants were 10 PETE students majoring in teaching and enrolled in an introductory adapted physical education course with an inclusion-based...
- Data Collection Techniques Employed in Qualitative Research in Physical Education Teacher Education. Byra, Mark; Karp, Grace Goc // Journal of Teaching in Physical Education;Jan2000, Vol. 19 Issue 2, p246
Describes the use of qualitative inquiry in the journals in which physical education teacher education (PETE) is published in the U.S. Increase in the qualitative research in the area of PETE; Explanation of the data collection techniques; Significance of the journals to educators.
- Comparison of Visual Information Processing Between Preservice Students and Experienced Physical Education Teachers. Behets, Daniel // Journal of Teaching in Physical Education;Oct1996, Vol. 16 Issue 1, p79
In this study, experienced physical education teachers' observation skills in teaching situations are compared to that of first- and last year student teachers. The 56 participants were shown 12 slides from a gymnastics lesson, and after viewing it for 4 s, they were asked to report what they...
- Classroom teachers' responses and feedback efforts during a collaborative practicum for... Kurz-McPherson, Karen A.; Faucette, Nell // Journal of Instructional Psychology;Mar94, Vol. 21 Issue 1, p68
Examines classroom teachers' feedbacks to preservice physical education teachers during a collaborative practicum for the preservice educators. Practicum setting; Collaborative program design; Classroom teachers' participation in providing written feedbacks.
- Current and recommended preparation of physical education... Van Donselaar, Lee; Leslie, David K. // Physical Educator;Early Winter90, Vol. 47 Issue 4, p209
Examines the preparation of physical education teachers in the exercise physiology knowledge base. Subdiscipline that plays a fundamental role in the preparation of physical education teachers; Basic applications of exercise physiology; What the study revealed.
- A descriptive profile of teacher preparation practices in physical education teacher education. Strand, Bradford N. // Physical Educator;Spring92, Vol. 49 Issue 2, p104
Examines some of the common practices that colleges and universities are using in the preparation of physical education teacher education majors. Profile demographics; Coaching preparation; Skill/activity course requirements; Peer teaching; Pre-student teaching; Student teacher supervision.
- Finding more teaching opportunities for physical education teacher education. Poole, Jon R. // Physical Educator;Winter94, Vol. 51 Issue 1, p53
Describes the involvement of undergraduate sports pedagogy majors enrolled in a teaching practicum course and instructors teaching in the Basic Instructional Program (BIP). Peer teaching support; Development of teaching cases; Classroom or action research; Qualitative data collection.