Serving the Strict Vegan
- Vegetarian Delight. Weisberg, Karen // FoodService Director;10/15/2004, Vol. 17 Issue 10, p46
Discusses the efforts of foodservice operators to meet the demand for vegetarian and vegan dishes in the U.S. Background on a lacto ovo menu cycle introduced at a New York healthcare facility; Information on the Terra Ve program and cookbook of Flik Independent Schools by Chartwells at Milton...
- go veggie once a week. // Shape;Jul2008, Vol. 27 Issue 11, p216
This article focuses on eating a vegetarian diet once a week. Cutting out meat one day per week and replacing it with vegetables provides fiber to keep you fuller longer, boosts cardiovascular health, and lowers breast cancer risk. Vegetables are also lower in calories and fat than meat which...
- Warming up to Veggies. Kiernan, Willie // FoodService Director;7/15/2009, Vol. 22 Issue 7, p30
The article reports on vegetarian trends in the U.S. It is noted that 30% to 40% of the U.S. population eat vegetarian foods at least occasionally. The trend is being driven by health concerns, animal welfare, environmental concerns, and economic condition. Vegetarian menus of various food...
- Consumers' readiness to eat a plant-based diet. Lea, E. J.; Crawford, D.; Worsley, A. // European Journal of Clinical Nutrition;Mar2006, Vol. 60 Issue 3, p342
Objective:The aim of this study was to examine consumers' readiness to change to a plant-based diet.Design:Mail survey that included questions on readiness to change, eating habits and perceived benefits and barriers to the consumption of a plant-based diet.Setting:Victoria, Australia.Subjects:A...
- Consumers Calling for More Vegetarian, Vegan Options. Tristano, Darren // Prepared Foods;Jun2015, Vol. 184 Issue 6, p69
The article focuses on the highlights of the "Center of the Plate: Seafood & Vegetarian Consumer Trend Report" released by foodservice consultancy and research firm Technomic in 2015. Topics covered include the estimated percentage of younger consumers who follow restrictive diets, the failure...
- WE HEAR YOU. // Women's Health;Jun2011, Vol. 8 Issue 5, p21
Several letters to the editor are presented in response to articles in previous issues including "True Grit: The Secret of Success," "Your Flat-Belly Day" and "Decoding the Deli" in the April 2011 issue.
- Raw Cuisine Delivered Directly to Your Door. // Vegetarian Journal;2010, Vol. 29 Issue 1, p26
The article evaluates the vegan products and services from Pure Market Express including the Pad Thai, chocolate cheesecake, and raw food delivery.
- COOKIES, QUICK BREAD AND MORE: DIGGING INTO DESSERTS. Berkoff, Nancy // FoodService Director;07/15/2001, Vol. 14 Issue 7, p86
Suggests some desserts for vegetarian and vegan eaters. Preparation of vegan cookies; Examples of quick breads; Recipe of tofu pudding.
- Whole Grains and Brain Gain. Jiannacopoulos, Krista // Macrobiotics Today;Nov/Dec2009, Vol. 49 Issue 6, p39
The article discusses the health benefits of eating whole grains and macrobiotics. She cites the book entitled "The Hip-Chicks Guide to Macrobiotics," by Jessica Porter, confirming that whole grains are energy food and assist in maintaining mental strength. The author shares that her memory and...