An all-seeing eye in the sky
- Airship pushed for early warning, mine... Brown, D.A. // Aviation Week & Space Technology;12/5/1988, Vol. 129 Issue 23, p65
Britain's Airship Industries has launched a 3-4 year program to demonstrate the multimission capabilities of its advanced-technology non-rigid YEZ-2A airship to the US Navy and Air Force. A full-scale demonstration airship will be configured by the airborne early warning role, but the airship...
- Soviets designing large airship to carry payloads in remote sites. // Aviation Week & Space Technology;10/9/1989, Vol. 131 Issue 15, p127
Reports that the Moscow Aviation Institute is designing a huge airship to be filled with helium and heated natural gas to lift payloads in remote regions. Optional uses; Funding; Design.
- The Hindenburg. Fisher, Leonard Everett // Cricket;May96, Vol. 23 Issue 9, p15
Focuses on the Hindenburg airship. Description; Accident; Author's concerns about the accident.
- The passing of an American icon. Hegarty, Liam // Fairfield County Business Journal;06/22/98, Vol. 37 Issue 25, p4
Opinion. Reflects on the changes in blimps in the United States, since the flying of the Goodyear blimp in the 1960s. Early memories of blimps; Changes in the name of blimps; Characters depicted on blimps.
- Editor's notes. Oldham, Joe // Popular Mechanics;Nov96, Vol. 173 Issue 11, p4
Describes the author's ride on a Goodyear blimp. Invitation for ride from Goodyear executive Scott Baughman; Stationing of Stars & Stripes' to work the New York Giants-Buffalo Bills National Football League opener; View of the New York City skyline.
- Yesterday in Mekeel's: Zeppelin Flight. // Mekeel's & Stamps Magazine;8/3/2001, Vol. 189 Issue 5, p11
Describes the experience of a passenger on the flight of the Graf Zeppelin from Lakehurst, New Jersey to Seville, Spain from June 2 to 5, 1930.
- Sky ride. // National Geographic World;Mar88, Issue 151, p24
Students at Poe Elementary School in Houston, Tex., take a ride in the Goodyear blimp. INSET: The ghost blimp.;Look up below; Inside story.;Float into the....
- Rebirth of the blimp. Garvey, W.; Mangiat, J. // Popular Mechanics;Aug91, Vol. 168 Issue 8, p30
Reports that lighter-than-air (LTA) aircraft are reclaiming the skies, buoyed by ultralight fabrics, new electronics and computerized design. Specifics on the 222-ft.-long Sentinel 1000, the largest airship in the world and the next-generation ship, the YEZ-2A.
- The passing of an American icon. Hegarty, Liam // Westchester County Business Journal;06/22/98, Vol. 37 Issue 25, p4
Opinion. Criticizes the promotional blimp labeled `Hilfiger Classic' which floated above Westchester County, New York and Fairfield County, Connecticut. Author's early memories of seeing the Goodyear blimp; Decline of interest in blimps; Features of other blimps that appeared after the one...
- Blimps. Barnard, Charles N.; Slattery, Chad // Smithsonian;Jun98, Vol. 29 Issue 3, p30
Discusses blimps. The Spirit of Akron from Goodyear; When Goodyear started flying the first of its airships; The amount that Goodyear's blimps earned in television exposures in 1997; Mention of the effort of Airship Management Services (AMS), working with a company is Saudia Arabia to provide a...