Kansas lawmakers pass hospital bill
- Who backs H.R. 1556/S. 839? // AHA News;7/23/2001, Vol. 37 Issue 29, p6
Presents a list of people who co-sponsored the United States American Hospital Preservation Act. Authors of the legislation; Aim of the legislation.
- Grassley sponsors bill for rural, small hospitals; gives full market basket. Brown, Steve // AHA News;5/20/2002, Vol. 38 Issue 18, p3
Reports on the May 2002 introduction of U.S. legislation that targets relief for rural and small urban hospitals. Basis of the legislation; Components of the legislation; Legislator who introduced the bill.
- VA hospital construction nixed. // AHA News;7/17/95, Vol. 31 Issue 29, p5
Reports on a US House Appropriations Committee panel's passage of the fiscal year 1996 budget that would scrap two planned veterans' hospitals. Abandonment of plans to construct hospitals in Brevard County, Fla. and Travis Air Force Base in Fairfield, Calif.
- Bill seeks independence. J.A. // AHA News;1/15/96, Vol. 32 Issue 2, p2
Reports on legislative efforts to provide more independence to Hawaii's public-hospital system. Interests of personnel and purchasing policy; Taxing authority; Public-benefits corporation.
- Hospital CEOs learn outcome of rates legislation. // Long Island Business News (7/1993 to 5/2009);2/21/94, Vol. 41 Issue 8, p40
Reports on the implications of new legislation on hospital rates for Long Island, New York hospitals. Hospital rates for insured patients; Possible budget constraints of the new legislation.
- Florida bill pushes indigent care. Greene, Jay // Modern Healthcare;2/7/94, Vol. 24 Issue 6, p18
Reports on legislation plans requiring not-for-profit hospitals to provide more charity care as a condition for retention of their tax-exempt status. Columbia Healthcare Corp.'s suggestion; Criticism by not-for-profit hospitals; Change of state's law for competition; Support by Florida League...
- Wis. tightens reins on conversions. Bellandi, Deanna // Modern Healthcare;04/27/98, Vol. 28 Issue 17, p21
Discusses the law on hospital sales in Wisconsin and the requirement for for-profit companies in buying a not-for-profit hospital in the state. Details on the law; Case of a deal between Bay Area Medical Center and Quorum Health Group; Requirements needed for deals to make sure certain...
- An about-face in court on COBRA liability. // RN;Feb93, Vol. 56 Issue 2, p15
Discusses the reversal by a United States appeals court of its former decision holding hospitals that divert ambulances to other medical facilities liable under the COBRA patient transfer law. Possible reasons for reversal of decision.
- Texas law clamps down on psychiatric hospitals. Johnson, Nancy P. // Business Insurance;8/2/93, Vol. 27 Issue 32, p34
Reports on the stricter laws for psychiatric hospitals in Texas. Requirement for insurance companies to monitor billings in an effort to curb fraud; Criminal penalties for insurance health fraud; Prohibition for hospitals to offer bounties for patient referrals; Restrictions on how patients can...
- Senate plan easier on not-for-profits. Weissenstein, Eric // Modern Healthcare;7/11/94, Vol. 24 Issue 28, p36
Reports on the Senate Finance Committee's exclusion from its bill of a series of conditions for qualifying not-for-profit hospitals that had been passed by the House Ways and Means Committee. Importance of the move; Issue of the clarification of the 1969 Internal Revenue Service's definition of...