Property Tax Crunch in New Orleans
- A Tax Increase. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;9/9/2003, Vol. 345 Issue 31715, p31
Reports that members of the school board of Denver Public School (DPS) in Colorado were told that debt service associated with a $310 million bond referendum must legally be termed a tax increase. Rationale behind promotion of the plan by board members; Significance of approval of bond package...
- Interest Savings. Vadum, Matthew // Bond Buyer;12/17/2001, Vol. 338 Issue 31286, p37
Reports on the impact of structure of District of Columbia's sale of insured general obligation bonds on city government debt service over the life of bonds. Type of bonds sold by the district; Cost saving features of bonds.
- California Looking at Short Term. Finestone, Deborah // Bond Buyer;1/4/2002, Vol. 339 Issue 31297, p1
Reports on plans of California to issue variable-rate debt and refund some outstanding general obligation bonds to defer near-term debt service under a financial restructuring plan. Benefits of the debt management plan for the state; Overview of the plan; Difficulties faced by the state to...
- S&P Downgrades Housing Bonds to Junk. Vadum, Matthew // Bond Buyer;4/5/2002, Vol. 339 Issue 31359, p31
Reports on the junk status of four outstanding bonds secured by Section 8-assisted multifamily property mortgages in the U.S. Par value of the bonds; Deterioration of the debt service coverage; Ways to improve the financial condition of multifamily.
- SOUTHEAST BOND-WATCH. Sigo, Shelly; Vadum, Matthew // Bond Buyer;10/17/2002, Vol. 342 Issue 31493, p30
Reports developments on industrial bonds in the U.S. as of October 2002. Ways of paying debt service on the nonrated bonds; Deterioration of the financial condition in bond documents; Construction of a convention center hotel.
- Philadelphia Controller's Report Calls For City to Reconsider Debt Levels. Higginbotham, Stacey // Bond Buyer;01/23/2001, Vol. 335 Issue 31062, p40
Reports the call for the reconsideration of debt service level for the bonding programs in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Account of the report issued by the city controller Jonathan Saidel concerning the debt level; Assessment of the debt service level; Introduction of a bonding program.
- Alabama House committee considers using tobacco money to pay off debt. Menke, Arthur // Bond Buyer;03/26/99, Vol. 327 Issue 30607, p36
Reports that Alabama lawmakers are considering a bill that would funnel dollars from the state's share of the nationwide tobacco settlement into a designated fund that could be used to pay debt service on bonds. Bill sponsored by state Representative John Hilliard; Provisions under House Bill...
- Minneapolis official fears bill imperils debt service on Timberwolves' stadium. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;04/20/99, Vol. 328 Issue 30623, p35
Focuses on Minnesota House of Representatives' approval of a bill that would jeopardize Minneapolis, Minnesota's ability to meet debt service payments on revenue bonds. Construction of a stadium for the Minnesota Timberwolves basketball team; Proposed cuts in annual subsidies of the city;...
- DCURD's refunding plan. Preston, Darrell // Bond Buyer;08/10/99, Vol. 329 Issue 30701, p1
Reports on the Dallas County Utility and Reclamation District (DCURD) pricing of $211 million of unlimited tax refunding bonds. Struggle of DCURD with a constantly rising debt service burden; Alignment of debt service expenses.