California-Wide Franchises Sought
- Kansas Joins State Franchising Rolls. Haugsted, Linda // Multichannel News;4/10/2006, Vol. 27 Issue 15, p28
Reports that Kansas has joined Texas and Indiana in adopting state regulation of cable TV franchising in March 2006. Information on a cable TV regulation in California, co-sponsored by Assembly Speaker Fabian Nunez; Overview of the bill approved by legislators in Kansas; Other cable TV-related...
- Franchise Reform Stalls in Texas. Haugsted, Linda // Multichannel News;8/1/2005, Vol. 26 Issue 31, p63
Reports that a bill to reform cable-franchise rules remains stalled in the Texas Legislature due to the debate over education funding reform. Outlook of the state's cable operators on the bill; Status of the cable franchising activity of telephone companies; Provisions of the bill.
- Franchise Matters: National Bill Not Likely This Year; State Bills Keep Moving. // CableFAX Daily;3/14/2006, Vol. 17 Issue 49, p1
Reports on a proposed national video franchising bill in the U.S. Options of local regulators regarding the bill according to Mike Bracy, a lobbyist with Bracy, Tucker, Brown & Valenzano; Background on the development of video franchising bills in New Jersey and Kansas that would benefit...
- Franchise Fracas:. // CableFAX Daily;5/24/2006, Vol. 17 Issue 101, p2
The article focuses on the signing of a cable-backed franchising bill by the governor of South Carolina as of May 2006. The bill treats different video services alike, and also preserves local franchise fees. South Carolina Cable Television Association president Nancy Horne stated that the...
- State Franchising:. // CableFAX Daily;6/30/2006, Vol. 17 Issue 127, p1
Reports on the approval of a video franchise bill by a California Senate policy committee. Significance of the bill to cable television operators; Opposition of a group of mayors from Los Angeles against the video franchise legislation.
- S.C. Bill Seeks Speedy Entry. Haugsted, Linda // Multichannel News;1/30/2006, Vol. 27 Issue 5, p18
This article reports on a legislation introduced in South Carolina that allows for a quick access to cable franchising in the state. There is a conflict between telephone companies and incumbent cable operators in several U.S. states. Details of the legislation are presented. Lobbying group...
- NJ. Moves Closer to Statewide Agreement. Haugsted, Linda // Multichannel News;5/22/2006, Vol. 27 Issue 21, p6
Reports on the legislation passed by the State Senate of New Jersey for statewide franchising of cable television. Provisions of the Senate version of the bill; Requirements for video providers that plans to operate in New Jersey; Other U.S. states that passed their revised franchising legislation.
- State of Play. // CableFAX Daily;1/27/2006, Vol. 17 Issue 18, p1
This article presents an update on several legislation in the U.S. cable television sector, as of January 27, 2006. A bill was introduced by lawmakers in South Carolina to allow state-issued cable franchises. A telecommunication reform bill was amended to keep franchise authority at the local...
- Untitled. Jessell, Harry A. // Broadcasting & Cable;9/6/93, Vol. 123 Issue 36, p52
Reports on Bill Clinton administration's view on the court decision overturning the ban on telco-cable crossownership. Administration's review of the issue; Expected vision statement from a high-level administration task force supervised by the National Telecommunications and Information...