Bet on Small-Dish Future Pays Off Big
- Rocket man. // Broadcasting & Cable;10/13/97, Vol. 127 Issue 42, p78
Editorial. Talks about EchoStar Communications Corp.'s Charlie Ergen's hopes of delivering local television signals in the United States via his company's satellites. Permission sought from the government and local broadcasters; Big gamble for Ergen.
- ECHOSTAR REFOCUSES. Goldsmith, Jill // Daily Variety;7/20/2001, Vol. 272 Issue 34, p5
Reports on the growth plans of United States satellite television company EchoStar Communications Corp. under the leadership of its chief executive officer Charlie Ergen. Refocusing efforts after its failed merger talks with DirecTV; Profits in 2000; Stock performance.
- EchoStar's 2000 campaign: Vote dish. Hogan, Monica A. // Multichannel News;01/17/2000, Vol. 21 Issue 3, p33
Focuses on EchoStar Communications Corp.'s marketing campaign for its free-hardware and free-professional direct-broadcast satellite television system installation offer in the United States. Target markets; Description of the company's print and radio ads; Comment by Charlie Ergen, chairman of...
- Will DBS ops challenge must-carry? Hearn // Multichannel News;11/29/99, Vol. 20 Issue 49, p3
Cites the option of EchoStar Communications chairman, Charles Ergen, of suing what he considers to be onerous must-carry in order to make improvements in the United States satellite law. Speculations that Ergen will not succeed in escaping mandatory carriage of all local broadcasting stations;...
- Ergen grades Congress 'D' on SHVA. Hearn, Ted // Multichannel News;11/22/99, Vol. 20 Issue 48, p31
Discusses the United States Congress' Satellite Home Viewer Act. Grading of the Congress by Charlie Ergen, chairman and chief executive officer of EchoStar Communications Corp.; Congress' decision to codify a compromise; View on Ergen's grading system. INSET: Scholars to FCC: Back Open Access.
- EchoStar Toasts a Decade of Dish Network. Hogan, Monica // Multichannel News;3/20/2006, Vol. 27 Issue 12, p17
Reports on the 10th anniversary of Dish Network direct-broadcast satellite service launched by EchoStar Communications Corp. in 1996. Launch of a family-friendly tier; Plan of EchoStar CEO Charlie Ergen to pursue programming options as soon as programming contracts allow for it; Studio...
- Dish Chief Ergen Is Still a Gambler. Gibbons, Kent // Multichannel News;3/20/2006, Vol. 27 Issue 12, p22
Focuses on the celebration of the 10th anniversary of EchoStar Communication Corporation's satellite television service Dish Network held in Littleton, Colorado on March 10, 2006. Audience share of Dish in interactive television households in the U.S.; Factors attributed to the distinctive...
- The Dish King. Friedman, Wayne // Broadcasting & Cable;4/16/2007, Vol. 137 Issue 16, p43
The article presents a profile of Charlie Ergen, Chairman of the Board of the satellite television company, EchoStar Communications. Ergen's skill at applying existing technology to profitable use for his company is cited. His decision to become the first U.S. satellite TV firm to use the...
- EchoStar Bows 'VOD' Service. Elrich, David // TWICE: This Week in Consumer Electronics;1/17/2005, Vol. 20 Issue 2, p28
The article reveals the transition plan of Echostar toward MPEG-4 technology for its satellite service, Dish Network in September 2005. When that occurs, a lot of new programming--particularly high definition television--will arrive, according to CEO Charlie Ergen. The new compression technology...