- Model of effect of magnesium prophylaxis on frequency of torsades de pointes in ibutilide-treated patients. Coleman, Craig I.; Kalus, James S.; Caron, Michael F.; Kluger, Jeffrey; White, C. Michael // American Journal of Health-System Pharmacy;4/1/2004, Vol. 61 Issue 7, p685
Uses a computer-assisted modeling to estimate the impact of intravenous magnesium sulfate prophylaxis on the occurrence of torsades de pointes in patients receiving ibutilide therapy. Role of magnesium prophylaxis in reducing the risk of torsades de pointes; Ability of magnesium to attenuate...
- Ibutilide. // Reactions Weekly;10/30/2004, Issue 1025, p9
Presents the case of a man who developed sustained torsade de pointes after receiving two IV doses of ibutilide for atrial fibrillation. Other drugs taken by the patient for congestive heart failure.
- Propafenone added to ibutilide increases conversion rates of persistent atrial fibrillation. Korantzopoulos, P.; Kolettis, T. M.; Papathanasiou, A.; Naka, K. K.; Kolios, P.; Leontaridis, I.; Draganigos, A.; Katsouras, C. S.; Goudevenos, J. A. // Heart;May2006, Vol. 92 Issue 5, p631
Objective: To assess the effectiveness and safety of pharmacological conversion of persistent atrial fibrillation (AF) with a combined propafenone plus ibutilide regimen. Methods and results: 100 consecutive patients (66 men, mean (SD) age 65 (10) years) with persistent AF (mean (SD) duration 99...
- Staying in Rhythm: Identifying Risk Factors for Torsade de Pointes. Blancett, Jill R.; Smith, Kelly M.; Akers, Wendell S.; Flynn, Jeremy D. // Orthopedics;Dec2005, Vol. 28 Issue 12, p1417
Addresses the risk factors for and management of drug-induced torsade de pointes. Use of a marker to predict adverse effects and development of torsade de pointes; Relationship between increasing prolongation of QT interval and risk of an adverse effect; Drug interaction mechanisms associated...
- Torsade de Pointes Associated with Very-High-Dose Methadone. Krantz, Mori J.; Lewkowiez, Laurent; Hays, Helen; Woodroffe, Mary Ann; Robertson, Alastair D.; Mehler, Philip S. // Annals of Internal Medicine;9/17/2002, Vol. 137 Issue 6, p501
Evaluates a series of methadone-treated patients experiencing torsade de pointes. Use of methadone for the treatment of opioid dependency and chronic pain; Suggestion that very-high-dose methadone may be associated with torsade de pointes.
- Ondansetron QT prolongation warnings to be updated. // Reactions Weekly;9/24/2011, Issue 1370, p2
The article reports on the association between Ondansetron and an increased risk of QT interval prolongation, which may result to torsade de pointes.
- Torsades de pointes. Snowberger, Pat; Wolfe, Suzanne // RN;Aug95, Vol. 58 Issue 8, p34
Discusses torsades de pointes, a type of ventricular tachycardia. Findings in electrocardiography; Cause of torsades de pointes; Treatment of the arrhythmia.
- Importance of QT Interval Determination and Renal Function Assessment During Antiarrhythmic Drug Therapy. Reiffel, James A.; Appel, Gerald // Journal of Cardiovascular Pharmacology & Therapeutics;Apr2001, Vol. 6 Issue 2, p111
The article presents information on the importance of QT interval determination and renal function assessment during antiarrhythmic drug therapy. A major concern associated with the use of antiarrhythmic drugs (AAD) is the occnrrcnce of ventricular proatrhythmia, especially torsade dc pointes...
- Ibutilide in Rapid Conversion of Atrial Flutter in Octogenarians. Antonicelli, R.; Testarmata, P.; Recanatini, A. // Drugs & Aging;2002, Vol. 19 Issue 10, p787
Introduction: Atrial flutter is a common sustained atrial tachyarrhythmia for which frequency increases with age. Ibutilide is a novel class III antiarrhythmic agent used for the rapid cardioversion of atrial fibrillation or atrial flutter. Aim: The aim of our study was to assess the use of...
- Correction. // American Journal of Health-System Pharmacy;1/15/2010, Vol. 67 Issue 2, p94
A correction to the article "Methadone-associated Q-T interval prolongation and torsades de pointes," that was published in the May 1, 2009 issue is presented.