CTOs: Cable Has Bandwidth to Compete
- Cable MSOs prepare for triple play services. Fuller, Meghan // Lightwave;Nov2005, Vol. 22 Issue 11, p39
The article reports that traditional telephone carriers and the cable multiple systems operators (MSO) in the U.S. are squaring off in an attempt to wrest customers away from each other. Both are entering the triple play arena, the MSOs through the addition of voice services and the...
- Setting the Table for 'Wideband' Modems. Spangler, Todd // Multichannel News;6/11/2007, Vol. 28 Issue 24, p53
The article reports on the efforts of cable operators in the U.S. to cross the 100-Megabyte-per-second (Mbps) Internet connection threshold. Some analysts believe that a 100-Mbps tier could soon be a marketing priority for cable operators in markets where telecommunication companies have kicked...
- What prevents cable TV from taking off in Brazil? Reis // Journal of Broadcasting & Electronic Media;Summer99, Vol. 43 Issue 3, p399
Probes the reason preventing cable television from taking off in Brazil. Pervasiveness of broadcast television in Brazil; Discussion of telecommunications policies; Overview of Brazilian broadcast TV's programming; Brazilian's reluctance to adopt emerging technologies.
- SAMPLING OF TECH TERMS FROM EMERGING TECH '04. Ellis, Leslie // Multichannel News;1/26/2004, Vol. 25 Issue 4, p36
Discusses technology terms from the 2004 Emerging Technologies conference of the Society of Cable Telecommunications Engineers in the U.S. All-digital cable network; Midsplit cable bandwidth; Advanced Television Systems Committee Cable Applications Platform.
- Building the Brand. Cooper, Jim // Brandweek;05/31/99, Vol. 40 Issue 22, SPECIAL REPORT: UPFRONT p62
Focuses on cable television networks that are selling packages across their services. Description of linked buying; Advantages of selling across properties; Networks which are employing the strategy; Types of packages being sold; Involvement of the Internet in linked buying.
- Dutch Treat for IPTV. Stump, Matt // Multichannel News;9/20/2004, Vol. 25 Issue 38, p54
This article focuses on the International Broadcasting conference related to news about TV via Internet protocol. Pace Micro Technology PLC debuted a new, below-$100 IPTV set-top box and Microsoft Corp. announced a major IPTV trial with Telecom Italia. The 30,000-plus attendees strolling through...
- HOW IPTV DIFFERS FROM CABLE TV. Ellis, Leslie // Multichannel News;2/6/2006, Vol. 27 Issue 6, p24
Focuses on the difference between Internet Protocol TV(IPTV) and cable TV. Explanation that issue on the difference between IPTV and cable TV was the focus of a session during the Society of Cable Telecommunications Engineers' annual conference on emerging technologies held in Tampa, Florida in...
- How much does redundancy cost? Thadani, Navin; Thienprasit, Paul // CED;Jan2004, Vol. 30 Issue 1, p60
Discusses the economics of high availability for VoIP in cable networks. Several modifications that cable operators may need to make; Relativity of the cost of a highly available network to the level of redundancy in the existing network; Difference in the improvement in network and service...
- TALKBACK. Litman, Peter; Bucholz, Steve; Stogner, Charlie // Multichannel News;6/16/2008, Vol. 29 Issue 24, p38
Several letters to the editor are presented in response to articles published in previous issues, including "Policing the bandwidth pigs" on the June 9, 2008 issue, Verizon's service in the New York market and cable operators' opposition against leased-access programming.