Fox News 'Bucks' the Odds
- HBO enters a growing Korean cable market. Alford, Christopher // Variety;10/02/2000, Vol. 380 Issue 7, p48
Reports on the resurgence of the cable television industry in South Korea after the country's economic crisis in 1998. Launching of HBO Korea on October 2, 2000; Limitation on foreign investment in broadcasting; Penetration rates of cable televisions in affluent areas.
- Our Town. Larson, Megan // MediaWeek;06/14/99, Vol. 9 Issue 24, Cable p34
Emphasizes the advantages of regional cable news networks over local cable news networks. Proof that the demand for regional cable news network is growing; Overview of the situation at New York 1 News cable network; Discussion and analysis of the trend.
- Station Problems for Azteca. Consoli, John // MediaWeek;7/2/2001, Vol. 11 Issue 27, p7
Reports on the series of distribution setbacks encountered by Azteca America, a Hispanic television (TV) broadcast network, that could delay the network from getting on the air. Information on Azteca's agreement to acquire KXTX-TV in Dallas, Texas; Impact of Univision's acquisition of TV outlets...
- Monsieur Mickey faces tough Euro quota regs. Paoli, Pascale // Variety;03/03/97, Vol. 366 Issue 5, p65
Reports on the March 22, 1997 launch of the Disney Channel in France. Initial broadcast of the channel on Canal Satellite; Problems faced by Disney concerning this pending launch.
- IT'S LONELY AT THE TOP. Dempsey, John // Variety;9/10/2001, Vol. 384 Issue 4, p1
Reports on the success of Home Box Office (HBO) television network. Number of 2001 Emmy Awards nominations earned by HBO; Challenge facing HBO; Concern of HBO executives about AOL.
- ASIA'S MTV KUDOS. Osborne, Magz // Variety;9/10/2001, Vol. 384 Issue 4, p20
Reports on the plans of MTV Asia for its first pan-Asian kudocast in Singapore. What the kudos will include; One of the anchors of the program; Successful music awards in Asia.
- Hispanic Nets Heating. Consoli, John // MediaWeek;05/22/2000, Vol. 10 Issue 21, p9
Focuses on the competition between Univision and Telemundo, the cable television networks for Hispanic viewers. Increase in the prime-time Hispanic television audience of Telemundo; Changes in the television programming schedule of Univision.
- USA maps production synergy. Dempsey, John; Littleton, Cynthia // Variety;05/25/98, Vol. 371 Issue 3, p23
Reports on the drama series included in the primetime schedule of USA Network cabler company for 1998-1999. Cable lineup planned by USA executive Barry Diller; Collapse of a deal to acquire a sitcom; Percentage of American households reached by the cable company.
- Nick to air in New Zealand. Murdoch, Blake // Hollywood Reporter -- International Edition;01/04/2000, Vol. 361 Issue 8, p102
Reports the scheduled launching of the children's channel Nickelodeon in New Zealand on February 1, 2000.
- TV3 kicks out U.S. pics as debts hit $143 mil. Khan, Bob // Variety;8/13/2001, Vol. 383 Issue 12, p25
Reports that the Malaysian television network TV3 is being restructured to reduce its crippling debt. Goal of the restructuring move; Pre-tax losses that TV3 reduced for the nine months ended May 13, 2001; Likely effect of the restructuring move on Malaysian Resources Corporation's stake in the...