Tulsa, Okla., Voters to Decide Fate of Third-Penny Tax in May
- Government is living large in Utah. Stephenson, Howard // Enterprise/Salt Lake City;6/25/2007, Vol. 36 Issue 51, p19
The article reports that Utah ranks fifth highest in the state and local revenue. According to an analysis made by the Utah Taxpayer Association, state and local government revenues and tax burdens in the state are higher than the national average. The author says that attempts to minimize...
- Cobb Passes SPLOST. DeSue, Tedra // Bond Buyer;9/29/2005, Vol. 353 Issue 32228, p31
Reports on the approval of the proposed 1 per cent special purpose local option sales tax intended to finance for a variety of road and facility projects by voters in Cobb County, Georgia.
- Brave action on taxes not in the cards. Finn, Kathy // New Orleans CityBusiness (1994 to 2008);02/14/2000, Vol. 20 Issue 34, p23
Comments on Louisiana Governor Mike Foster's proposed hike in the state's sales tax. Report indicating that the state is dependent on sales taxes which generate a fluctuating return depending on the prevailing economic conditions; Tax breaks granted to Louisiana homeowners.
- MAKING MOUNTAINS OF DEBT OUT OF MOLEHILLS: THE PRO-CYCLICAL IMPLICATIONS OF TAX AND EXPENDITURE LIMITATIONS. McCubbins, Mathew D.; Moule, Ellen // National Tax Journal;Sep2010, Vol. 63 Issue 3, p603
This paper presents evidence that property tax limits have detrimental effects on state and local revenues during recessions. Property tax limits cause states to rely on income-elastic revenue sources, such as the income tax or charges and fees. Greater reliance on these revenue sources results...
- Local Revenue Diversification: Local Sales Taxes. // Publius: The Journal of Federalism;Spring90, Vol. 20 Issue 2, p134
The article reviews the book "Local Revenue Diversification: Local Sales Taxes."
- Stores pose taxing dilemma for burbs. Tita, Bob // Crain's Chicago Business;8/12/2002, Vol. 25 Issue 32, p1
Reports on the declining sales tax revenues in Chicago, Illinois. Contrast to the number of stores of shopping centers; Diversion of sales tax payments; Use of sales tax rebates for economic development initiatives.
- Iowa schools look to sales tax for construction projects. Ward, Andrew // Bond Buyer;02/24/99, Vol. 327 Issue 30585, p30
Reports on the March 1999 referendum on a local-option sales tax in Polk County, Iowa. Use of proceeds from the sales tax revenues to build and renovate schools in the county; Features of local-option sales taxes that make them easier to pass and implement; Uncertainty over whether to use sales...
- Sales tax revenue up for area cities. Freeman, Michael // Burnet Bulletin (Texas);8/17/2011, Vol. 139 Issue 33, p2A
The article offers information on the increase in sales tax revenue for various area cities in Texas for 2011, such as the sales revenue increase in Burnet County by more than four percent and 0.14 percent increase for Llano County.
- Tax revenues up, big picture not so bright. Corry, Carl // Long Island Business News (7/1993 to 5/2009);06/25/99, Vol. 46 Issue 26, p5A
Reports on the increase in sales tax revenues in Long Island, New York as of June 1999. Percentage of the increase in tax revenues in different counties; Factors which contributed to the increase in tax revenues; Comment by Pearl Kamer, chief economist for the Long Island Association.