Supreme Court Declines to Hear Appeal Of United Airlines Bankruptcy Decision
- NAVIGATING THE TURBULENCE: THE FIRST CIRCUIT CLARIFIES THE PREEMPTIVE SCOPE OF THE AIRLINE DEREGULATION ACT IN BROWN v. UNITED AIRLINES. WELSH, MICHAEL // Boston College Law Review;2014, Vol. 55 Issue 1, p15
On July 9, 2013, in Brown v. United Airlines, Inc., the U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit held that the Airline Deregulation Act ("ADA") preempted skycaps' common law tortious interference and unjust enrichment claims. In so holding, the First Circuit articulated a two-pronged test in...
- RECENT DEVELOPMENTS IN FIDELITY AND SURETY LAW. Ward, Christopher R.; Domres, Marc L.; Burch, Carleton R.; Knox Jr., James A.; Smith, Carol Z.; Wager, Patricia A.; Duvin, Deborah; Leonard, Darrell S.; Szary, Joseph S. // Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Law Journal;Fall2011, Vol. 47 Issue 1, p215
The article presents information on the decisions by the courts regarding the fidelity and surety law of the U.S. The decision of the Supreme Court of the U.S. on the fidelity law was based on issues like employee dishonesty, forgery, robbery, computer fraud and termination. Five main issues are...
- Class Action Against UAL, State Street. Kulikowski, Laurie // American Banker;2/23/2005, Vol. 170 Issue 36, p2
Reports legal issues involving State Street Corp. The class-action status of a lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court for the North District of Illinois by Hagens Berman Sobol Shapiro LLP on behalf of 70,000 United Airlines employees; Background on the 2-year-old lawsuit against State Street Corp....
- UA facing $5m suit. // Travel Daily;12/30/2014, p3
The article reports on the $5 million lawsuit that was filed by 68-year-old Jean Mamakos against United Airlines Inc. (UA) alleging she was taken off a flight and imprisoned for three days after she attempted to change seats.
- United Airlines faces Sept. 11 lawsuit. // Business Insurance;12/24/2001, Vol. 35 Issue 52, p1
Reports on the lawsuit filed by a widow of the victim of the September 11 terrorist attack against United Airlines Inc. in the United States. Accusations specified in the lawsuit; Refusal of the widow to participate in the government-supported Victims Compensation Fund.
- United Airlines, Airbus. // AirGuide Online.com;10/26/2009, p13
The article reports that two airline passengers Jamie Scatena and Marc Shannon are suing the United Airlines Inc. and Airbus after the United Airlines A320 skidded off a runway in Chicago, Illinois. It states that both passengers are seeking damages for pain, suffering, and medical expenses due...
- Supreme Court to hear ADA cases. // Employee Benefit News;Feb99, Vol. 13 Issue 2, p3
Provides information on three cases in the United States (US) Supreme Court related to the scope of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. Workers who are protected under the law; Details on the case of United Air Lines; Two other cases involving truck drivers.
- High Court Lets Baldwin Ruling Stand. Bell, Allison // National Underwriter / Life & Health Financial Services;11/22/2010, Vol. 114 Issue 22, p9
The article reports on the refusal of U.S. Supreme Court to take the suit filed by Steve Baldwin and Pacific Justice Institute against Kathleen Sebelius and colleagues in opposition to the Affordable Care Act.
- 2002 Cumulative Index. // Supreme Court Debates;Cumulative Index 2002, Vol. 1-5, p2
Presents a cumulative index of U.S. Supreme Court cases for 2002. Abortion law and the court; Action on Smoking and Health; Alabama Coalition Against Domestic Violence; Air Transport Association of America; Abortion Access Project; Campaign Finance Reform; Capitol Resource Institute; Defining...