Panel's Leaders Picked
- N.C. Local Government Commission recognized as a credit strengthener. Whalen, Robert // Bond Buyer;03/22/99, Vol. 327 Issue 30603, p3
Reports that Fitch IBCA Inc. has recognized North Carolina's Local Government Commission as a credit strengthener. Commission's ability to boost a municipality's rating; Commission's stringent financial surveillance of local governments and its review process.
- MUNICIPAL BONDS AS A SOURCE OF REVENUES FOR BUDGETS OF LOCAL GOVERNMENTS IN CROATIA. Stojanović, Slobodan; Penava, Ivan // Interdisciplinary Management Research;2010, Vol. 6, p608
Local and regional governments in Croatia are organized in the forms of cities, municipalities and counties. Each local unit has a legally prescribed responsibilities and scope of work. At the moment, there are 576 local and regional government units in Croatia, of which 20 are counties, City of...
- SEC, FBI Probing San Diego for Irregularities in Pension Funds, Bonds. Williams, Rochelle // Bond Buyer;2/19/2004, Vol. 347 Issue 31824, p28
Reports that the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission and Federal Bureau of Investigation is investigating San Diego, California for accounting errors and disclosure irregularities related to the operation of the city's pension fund and issuance of municipal bonds. Comment of mayor Dick...
- High Court Clearance. McDonald, Michael // Bond Buyer;5/14/2004, Vol. 348 Issue 31884, p1
Reports on the New York high court's ruling against the Local Government Assistance Corp.'s challenge to the state's Municipal Assistance Corp. (MAC) Refunding Act. New York City's plan to finance for another 30 years the $2.5 million in MAC debt that is due to mature in 2008; Impact of the...
- As part of funding fix, Ohio will sell largest installment of school bonds to date. Goldsmith, Steve // Bond Buyer;11/25/98, Vol. 326 Issue 30528, p30
Discusses the Office of the Ohio Treasurer's plan to issue $110 million of lease-rental bonds on behalf of elementary and secondary schools. Aim to raise fund for the building and renovation of public schools; Ratings and structure of the issue; Uncertainty about whether future state funding...
- Cook's Local Governments Face $34B Financial Burden. DEVIT, CAITLIN // Bond Buyer;12/5/2012, Vol. 382 Issue 33824, p1
The article informs that the local government in Cook County, Illinois is struggling with a combined financial burden of unfunded pension liabilities and municipal bond debt of approximately 34 billion U.S. dollars.
- Myths about funding harm education. Da Marto, Sonny // Leadership;May/Jun2004, Vol. 33 Issue 5, p7
Talks about funding in public schools in California. Struggle of California schools to fight for adequate funding for decades; Implication of the growth in schools every year on school budgets; Approval by voters in bonds for new construction and modernization.
- Lawmakers aim to end school-funding 'shell game' Dornin, Chris // New Hampshire Business Review;3/18/2005, Vol. 27 Issue 6, p1
Reports that House Education Committee members in New Hampshire have worked nights and weekends lately in 2005, chopping and merging new plans to pay for public schools. Key issues of interest; Analysis of pertinent topics and relevant issues; Implications on school funding and public finance.
- Standing the Test. // Saturday Evening Post;12/28/1935, Vol. 208 Issue 26, p22
Assesses the report on the committee of the Municipal Finance Officers' Association regarding municipal credit in the U.S. Significance of the continuing high growth of total municipal debt; Statistics on municipal debt in the country; Recommendations of the issuance of bonds for unemployment or...