Vouchers Approved For First Time in Poll
- The 23rd Annual GALLUP POLL Of the Public's Attitudes Toward the Public Schools. Elam, Stanley M.; Rose, Lowell C.; Gallup, Alec M. // Phi Delta Kappan;Sep91, Vol. 73 Issue 1, p41
Presents the findings of the 1991 Gallup poll which surveyed public attitudes toward education in the U.S. Overview of the goals for education of the U.S. administration; Opinion on the proposal to extend the school day of public shools; Percentage of respondents who favor the voucher system.
- What Is the Verdict On School Vouchers? McCarthy, Martha M. // Phi Delta Kappan;Jan2000, Vol. 81 Issue 5, p371
Discusses the litigation pertaining to voucher programs in January of 2000. Legal activity involving voucher plans; Legal justifications for voucher systems; Implications of voucher programs being upheld; Rationale to defend voucher plans that include parochial schools; How the United States...
- Vouchers lose in court. Wildavsky, Ben // U.S. News & World Report;03/27/2000, Vol. 128 Issue 12, p30
Mentions a Florida ruling against the use of public money to send children to private schools. Reaction of National Education Association President Bob Chase; Rulings in other states against voucher programs.
- Show Private Schools the Money? // NEA Today;Oct98, Vol. 17 Issue 2, p11
Focuses on the decision of the Southeast Delco school board in Pennsylvania to tap the district's budget surplus for private and religious school tuition vouchers. Opposition to the voucher scheme from parents of the students; Comments on the board; Efforts being taken to fight the plan of the...
- Proponents Optimistic Calif. Choice Initiative Will Be on Fall Ballot. Olson, Lynn // Education Week;5/6/1992, Vol. 11 Issue 33, p1
The article reports that the supporters of the Parental Choice in Education Initiative in California have gathered enough signatures to qualify for the November 1992 ballot. There are almost one million valid signatures of registered voters to be turned over to the secretary of state. If the...
- Maine court rules against school vouchers. // Church & State;Jun98, Vol. 51 Issue 6, p18
Reports on a superior court's rejection regarding efforts of a group of parents in Raymond, Maine, to force the state to pay tuition for their children at a Roman Catholic high school. Parents' aim for funding to send their children to Cheverus High School; Funding of children to go to public or...
- Voucher study finds support for accountability. Schnaiberg, Lynn // Education Week;02/18/98, Vol. 17 Issue 23, p5
Presents the findings of the Public Policy Forum of Milwaukee, Wisconsin about the attitudes of taxpayers on the expansion of the voucher programs of private schools. Accountability guidelines cited to oversee choice programs involving private schools; Debate on whether to allow vouchers for...
- Vouchers And Voters: Three Good Reasons To Just Say No! // Church & State;Sep2000, Vol. 53 Issue 8, p14
Editorial. Identifies three reasons why voters should not consider the issue of voucher subsidies for religious and other private schools in the United States in the 2000 election. Violation of the separation of church and state; Undermining the public school system; Negative effects of state...
- Putting higher education as a top priority in state. McCormick, Richard L. // njbiz;7/25/2011, Vol. 24 Issue 30, p17
The article discusses the results of an opinion poll which showed that respondents want higher education funding to be the major priority for New Jersey as of July 25, 2011.