Why Cable Needs Some 'Seizures'
- Playboy Debuts Digital PPV Amid Op Angst. Umstead, R. Thomas // Multichannel News;04/23/2001, Vol. 22 Issue 17, p26
Reports on satellite television channel Playboy TV's launch of its Spice Platinum adult pay-per-view services and video-on-demand service in the United States. Reaction of cable television networks toward the shows; Reasons for the delay in the launch of the shows; Playboy TV's negotiations...
- The Cable-or-Satellite Conundrum. Aquino, Grace; Brandt, Andrew; Kandra, Anne // PCWorld;Jun2004, Vol. 22 Issue 6, p45
The article discusses factors that must be considered in choosing between satellite or cable TV. As of June 2004, satellite service has evolved into a direct competitor to the long-monopolistic cable TV industry. The leading cable companies in the U.S. are countering by expanding and beefing...
- CEA: Don't Stall the Transition. Hearn, Ted // Multichannel News;5/16/2005, Vol. 26 Issue 20, p28
Focuses on the views of Gary Shapiro, president of the Consumer Electronic Association on digital television transition in the U.S. Implications of the proposed restrictions on cable and satellite TV to subscribers not connected to pay-TV service; Statistical figures on TV subscribers in the...
- BRIEFS. // Multichannel News;4/11/2005, Vol. 26 Issue 15, p48
Presents an update on issues and events related to the cable television industry in the U.S. as of April 2005. Information on the Triple Play packages offered by Time Warner Cable; Result of the Mother's Day promotion launched by Hallmark Channel.
- Biz bumps tab for TV. Lowry, Tom // Daily Variety;1/11/2011, Vol. 310 Issue 7, p1
The article reports on the move of subscription television (TV) providers to increase prices, despite the drops in subscribers. According to a research report by Stanford Bernstein, almost all of the major satellite, cable, and telephone companies that offer TV service are lifting their prices....
- Remade DBS braces for '99. Colman, Price // Broadcasting & Cable;12/21/98, Vol. 128 Issue 52, p4
Focuses on the competition between direct broadcasting satellite (DBS) and cable television industries in the United States. Comments from Bear, Stearns analyst Vijay Jayant; Companies consolidating in the satellite television industry; Percentage increase of DBS subscriber in 1998.
- TV Spending Forecast to Climb by 17%. Farrell, Mike // Multichannel News;7/19/2004, Vol. 25 Issue 29, p30
Presents a forecast by PricewaterhouseCoopers LLC on advertising spending in the television distribution market in the U.S. from 2004 to 2008. Increase in shares of direct-broadcast satellite providers and wireline video providers in the multichannel video market; Percentage of increase in...
- Analysts: Satellite TV May Be Reaching Peak In Canadian Market. Careless, James // Satellite News;7/17/2006, Vol. 28 Issue 27, p1
Reports on the future of satellite TV in the Canadian market. Comparison of the growth of satellite TV, cable TV and direct-to-home services; Limitations of satellite TV; Plan of Bell Expressvu to make it more competitive against cable.
- Spread of satellite TV dishes losing momentum. // Infomat: A Weekly Review;10/31/2003, p4
Focuses on trends in the application of satellite television dish, wireless cable television service and cable television in Canada as on October 31, 2003. Number of subscribers to wireless cable television service in 2002; Assessment of the decline in number of cable television subscribers...