TITLE

Polymorphisms of the Protein Kinase C-β Gene (PRKCB1) Accelerate Kidney Disease in Type 2 Diabetes Without Overt Proteinuria

AUTHOR(S)
Araki, Shin-Ichi; Haneda, Masakazu; Sugimoto, Toshiro; Isono, Motohide; Isshiki, Keiji; Kashiwagi, Atsunori; Koya, Daisuke
PUB. DATE
April 2006
SOURCE
Diabetes Care;Apr2006, Vol. 29 Issue 4, p864
SOURCE TYPE
Academic Journal
DOC. TYPE
Article
ABSTRACT
OBJECTIVE -- We investigated the contribution of PKC-β gene (PRKCB1) polymorphisms to diabetic kidney disease in a prospective observational follow-up study. RESEARCH DESIGN AND METHODS -- A total of 364 Japanese subjects with type 2 diabetes without overt proteinuria were enrolled during 1996-1998 and followed until 2004. Five single nucleotide polymorphisms (-1504C/T, -546C/G, -348A/G, -278C/T, and -238C/G) in the promoter region of PRKCB1 were genotyped. The end points were transition from stage to stage of diabetic nephropathy as a time-to-event outcome and the annual decline rate of estimated glomerular filtration rate (eGFR) as a slope-based outcome. RESULTS -- During the study (median 6 years), 34 of 364 subjects (9.3%) progressed. Kaplan-Meier estimation revealed that subjects with both T allele at - 1054 C/T and G allele at -546 C/G polymorphisms frequently showed transition to advanced stages of diabetic nephropathy (P = 0.015). The annual change rate in eGFR in the subjects with both alleles was also significantly higher than in others (-2.96 ± 0.62 vs. -1.63 ± 0.15 ml/min per 1.73 m2/year, P = 0.02). The estimated frequency of this risk T-G haplotype was significantly higher in the progressors who showed transition to advanced nephropathy stages (12%) than in the nonprogressors (5%) (odds ratio. 2.3 [95% CI 1.0-5.21), and it was also higher in those with accelerated decline of the Δ eGFR (≥3 ml/min per 1.73 m2/year) than in those without (2.1 [1.1-3.9]). CONCLUSIONS -- Our study indicates that PRKCB1 is a predictor for worsening of kidney disease in Japanese subjects with type 2 diabetes.
ACCESSION #
20443255

 

Related Articles

  • Genetic Variants of the Protein Kinase C-β 1 Gene and Development of End-Stage Renal Disease in Patients With Type 2 Diabetes. Ma, Ronald C. W.; Tam, Claudia H. T.; Wang, Ying; Luk, Andrea O.; Hu, Cheng; Yang, Xilin; Lam, Vincent; Chan, Alfred W. H.; Ho, Janice S. K.; Chow, Chun-Chung; Tong, Peter C. Y.; Jia, Weiping; Ng, Maggie C. Y.; So, Wing-Yee; Chan, Juliana C. N. // JAMA: Journal of the American Medical Association;8/25/2010, Vol. 304 Issue 8, p881 

    The article discusses a study which investigated the risk association of protein kinase C-Î’ (PKC-Î’) polymorphisms and end-stage renal disease (ESRD) in an 8-year prospective cohort with Chinese patients with type 2 diabetes. There has been an association between the cell-signaling...

  • PKC Beta Inhibitor Prevents Early Diabetic Complications, but Does Not Prevent Histopathological Abnormalities of Retina in Spontaneously Diabetic Torii Rat. Sasase, Tomohiko; Morinaga, Hisayo; Miyajima, Katsuhiro; Masuyama, Taku; Ohta, Takeshi; Matsushita, Mutsuyoshi; Yonemori, Fumihiko; Shinohara, Masami; Kakehashi, Akihiro; Kanazawa, Yasunori // Diabetes;Jun2007 Supplement 1, Vol. 56, pA213 

    Spontaneously Diabetic Torii (SDT) rat is a new model of non-obese type 2 diabetes. SDT rats show severe ocular complications such as cataracts, tractional retinal detachment with fibrous proliferation, in addition to neuropathy and nephropathy. In the present study, effect of PKC beta selective...

  • Genetic Variants of the ENPP1/PC-1Gene Are Associated With Hypertriglyceridemia in Male Subjects. Sinan Tanyolaç; Andrew A. Bremer; Uur Hodoglugil; Irina Movsesyan; Clive R. Pullinger; Steven W. Heiner; Mary J. Malloy; John P. Kane; Ira D. Goldfine // Metabolic Syndrome & Related Disorders;Dec2009, Vol. 7 Issue 6, p543 

    Background:Hypertriglyceridemia is associated with insulin resistance, type 2 diabetes, and the metabolic syndrome. Membrane glycoprotein PC-1 (also termed ENPP1) is a direct insulin receptor inhibitor, and certain polymorphisms of the ENPP1/PC-1gene have been associated with insulin resistance,...

  • Increased Circulating Levels of SDF-1 (CXCL12) in Type 2 Diabetic Patients Are Correlated to Disease State but Are Unrelated to Polymorphism of the SDF-1β Gene in the Iranian Population. Derakhshan, Reza; Arababadi, Mohammad; Ahmadi, Zahra; Karimabad, Mojgan; Salehabadi, Vajihe; Abedinzadeh, Mehdi; Khorramdelazad, Hossein; Balaei, Parisa; Kennedy, Derek; Hassanshahi, Gholamhossein // Inflammation;Jun2012, Vol. 35 Issue 3, p900 

    Several environmental and genetic factors are believed to influence the onset of diabetes and its complications. It has also been established that cytokines play a key role in the pathogenesis of type 2 diabetes. Previous studies have revealed that the polymorphism at the stromal-derived factor...

  • CXCL5 Gene Polymorphism Association with Diabetes Mellitus. Ranjbar, Shirin Hasani; Amiri, Parvin; Zineh, Issam; Langaee, Taimour Y.; Namakchian, Mahsa; Heshmet, Ramin; Sajadi, Mohammadali; Mirzaee, Mohammadreza; Rezazadeh, Ebrahim; Balaei, Parisa; Bazzaz, Javad Tavakkoly; Gonzalez-Gay, Miguel A.; Larijani, Bagher; Amoli, Mahsa M. // Molecular Diagnosis & Therapy;Nov2008, Vol. 12 Issue 6, p391 

    Background: CXCL5, also known as epithelial cell-derived neutrophil-activating peptide (ENA-78), is a chemokine that has a role in the development of cardiovascular and other diseases. We have previously scanned the full length CXCL5 gene and reported the -- 156G>C (rs352046) polymorphism in the...

  • Angiotensin-converting enzyme gene polymorphisms and T2DM in a case-control association study of the Bahraini population. Al-Harbi, Einas M.; Farid, Eman M.; Gumaa, Khalid A.; Masuadi, Emad M.; Singh, Jaipaul // Molecular & Cellular Biochemistry;Apr2011, Vol. 350 Issue 1/2, p119 

    Bahrain has one of the highest incidence rates of type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM). Development of diabetic nephropathy (DN) as a complication was noticed in some patients while absent in others. This interesting observation raises the role of certain genetic risk factors for the development of...

  • Genetic variation at the SLC12A3 locus is unlikely to explain risk for advanced diabetic nephropathy in Caucasians with type 2 diabetes. Daniel P. K. Ng; Siti Nurbaya; Serena Choo; David Koh; Kee-seng Chia; Andrzej S. Krolewski // Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation;Jul2008, Vol. 23 Issue 7, p2260 

    Background. Large-scale genotyping efforts performed on Japanese subjects with type 2 diabetes have implicated polymorphisms in solute carrier family 12 (sodium/chloride transporters) member 3 (SLC12A3) as being associated with advanced diabetic nephropathy. However, it is not known whether...

  • Common polymorphisms in MIR146a, MIR128a and MIR27a genes contribute to neuropathy susceptibility in type 2 diabetes. Ciccacci, Cinzia; Morganti, Roberto; Fusco, Davide; D'Amato, Cinzia; Cacciotti, Laura; Greco, Carla; Rufini, Sara; Novelli, Giuseppe; Sangiuolo, Federica; Marfia, Girolama; Borgiani, Paola; Spallone, Vincenza // Acta Diabetologica;Aug2014, Vol. 51 Issue 4, p663 

    Diabetic polyneuropathy (DPN) and cardiovascular autonomic neuropathy (CAN) are common type 2 diabetes complications with a large inter-individual variability in terms of clinical manifestations and severity. Our aim was to evaluate a possible involvement of genetic polymorphisms in miRNA...

  • The CTGF gene -945 G/C polymorphism is not associated with cardiac or kidney complications in subjects with type 2 diabetes. Patel, Sheila K.; Wai, Bryan; MacIsaac, Richard J.; Grant, Sharon; Velkoska, Elena; Ord, Michelle; Panagiotopoulos, Sianna; Jerums, George; Srivastava, Piyush M.; Burrell, Louise M. // Cardiovascular Diabetology;2012, Vol. 11 Issue 1, p42 

    Background: Connective tissue growth factor (CTGF) has been implicated in the cardiac and kidney complications of type 2 diabetes, and the CTGF -945 G/C polymorphism is associated with susceptibility to systemic sclerosis, a disease characterised by tissue fibrosis. This study investigated the...

Share

Read the Article

Courtesy of VIRGINIA BEACH PUBLIC LIBRARY AND SYSTEM

Sorry, but this item is not currently available from your library.

Try another library?
Sign out of this library

Other Topics