Do Your Plans Face Political Risk?
- Tin ear, hubris forces port misjudgment. D'Amato, Alfonse // Long Island Business News (7/1993 to 5/2009);3/3/2006, Vol. 53 Issue 10, p11A
The article reflects on the Bush administration's approval for a United Arab Emirates (UAE) firm to manage ports in the U.S. The author argues on why the administration adds a considerable element of risk given that the UAE has been a breeding ground for terrorists. He also raises a question on...
- UAE shuts down offices of US pro-democracy groups. WATTS, MARK // MEED: Middle East Economic Digest;4/6/2012, Vol. 56 Issue 14, p21
The article presents information on the United Arab Emirates' closure of the U.S. group National Democratic Institute for International Affairs in Dubai as of April 6, 2012.
- Port Organization Eschews Sides, Focuses on Facts. // Security: Solutions for Enterprise Security Leaders;Apr2006, Vol. 43 Issue 4, p10
The article reports that the American Association of Port Authorities (AAPA) has notified many news groups that it has yet to take a stand on the political issue of Dubai Ports World's acquisition of P&O Ports. Prior to Dubai Ports World's decision to sell its U.S. assets, the AAPA has posted...
- Ports in a storm. // MEED: Middle East Economic Digest;3/17/2006, Vol. 50 Issue 11, p6
The article reports on the controversies that have emerged from the acquisition of Great Britain-based P&O, by DP World, a ports operator in Dubai, United Arab Emirates (UAE) in 2006. In the U.S., the acquisition has been caught up in the maelstrom of pre-election politics and accusations have...
- Taking on the world. James, Ed; Shaw-Smith, Peter // MEED: Middle East Economic Digest;7/21/2006, Vol. 50 Issue 29, p4
The article considers the success of DP World and its plans to become the leading port operator in the world. Since its formation late 2005, following the merger of Dubai's domestic and international port operations, the company has set itself the ultimate goal, to be the world's number one port...
- U.S.-U.A.E. RELATIONS. // Background Notes on Countries of the World: United Arab Emirates;7/14/2010, p10
The article presents information on the relations between the U.S. and the United Arab Emirates (U.A.E.) as of July 2010.
- U.S.-U.A.E. RELATIONS. // Background Notes on Countries of the World: United Arab Emirates;3/16/2011, p10
The article discusses the relations between the U.S. and the United Arab Emirates (U.A.E.), mentioning that U.A.E. is the U.S.' single largest export market in the Middle East and North Africa region.
- UAE Nuclear Ambitions Have Washington's Blessings. Jha, Saurav // World Politics Review;10/30/2009, p1
The article reports on the U.S.-UAE 123 Agreement on civil nuclear cooperation between the U.S. and United Arab Emirates (UAE). With support from the Obama administration, the agreement is seen as a model for countries that want to use nuclear energy for the first time. UAE wants to address...
- U.S.-UAE RELATIONS. // Background Notes on Countries of the World: United Arab Emirates;Aug2004, p5
Focuses on the relations of the United Arab Emirates (UAE) with the U.S. Commercial ties between the countries; Factors that contributed to the quality of the UAE-U.S. relations; Officials at the U.S. embassy in the UAE.