DirecTV: Broadband to Be Later, Not Sooner
- Rupert's death star. Roberts, Johnnie L. // Bulletin with Newsweek;3/11/97, Vol. 116 Issue 6062, p71
Reports on Rupert Murdoch's acquisition of control over the EchoStar satellite television company, which sets Murdoch up as the leader in direct-broadcast satellite (DBS) television and a possible competitor against cable television. The newly developed capabilities for local programming from...
- EchoStar Invests In Broadband. Tarr, Greg // TWICE: This Week in Consumer Electronics;04/03/2000, Vol. 15 Issue 9, p3
Reports on United States-based satellite television company EchoStar's launch of its iSKY satellite-based broadband Internet service as of April 3, 2000. Features of the broadband Internet access; Company background.
- BellSouth Bags Wireless Cable, DTH Plans. Farrell, Mike // Multichannel News;01/01/2001, Vol. 22 Issue 1, p21
Reports on the plan of the BellSouth Corp. to abandon its wireless-video offerings and instead provide customers with direct-broadcast satellite (DSL) service from EchoStar Communications Corp. Plans to increase its DSL customer base in 2001; Capital expenditure budget for the shift to DSL;...
- The glitter of DBS gold. Hancock, Amy E. // Satellite Communications;Apr2000, Vol. 24 Issue 4, p22
Looks at the transformation underwent by direct broadcast satellite industry. Information on EchoStar's OpenTV software; Service offered by DirecTV on the emerging information-on-demand market; Total number of satellite subscribers.
- EchoStar slaps DirecTv with suit. Tarr, Greg // TWICE: This Week in Consumer Electronics;02/07/2000, Vol. 15 Issue 4, p1
Reports on EchoStar's filing of an antitrust lawsuit against DirecTv on allegations that DirecTv conspired with manufacturing partners Thomson MultiMedia and Hughes Network Systems to monopolize distribution of direct-broadcast satellite systems. EchoStar's claim that DirecTv forced retailers...
- Satellite Firms Continue To Add Local Services. Tarr, Greg // TWICE: This Week in Consumer Electronics;03/13/2000, Vol. 15 Issue 7, p18
Reports that DirecTV Inc. and EchoStar Communications Corp. continued to expand their satellite television broadcasting services in the United States. List of television channels operated by the companies; Total number of American cities covered by the companies' satellite television...
- DBS Suppliers Hit Subscirber Records. Tarr, Greg // TWICE: This Week in Consumer Electronics;03/19/2001, Vol. 16 Issue 7, p1
Reports on record sales in the fourth quarter of 2000 for net subscriber additions for high-power direct-broadcast satellite operators in the United States. Number of new subscribers of EchoStar; Cumulative total DISH Network subscribers; Subscriber activations of DirecTV.
- DBS was hot in August. Hogan // Multichannel News;09/20/99, Vol. 20 Issue 39, p34
Reports on the sales performance of United States-based satellite television firms DirecTV Inc. and EchoStar Communications Corp. for August 1999. Increase in number of subscribers.
- DBS eyes record sales in 2000. Hogan // Multichannel News;01/03/2000, Vol. 21 Issue 1, p1
Reports on developments related to the direct-broadcast satellite television industry in the United States as of January 3, 2000. Number of subscribers acquired by satellite television firms DirecTV Inc. and EchoStar Communications Corp. in the year 1999; Companies' subscriber recruitment plans...