Kansas Senate Fails to Pass School Finance Measures; Regular Session Ends
- Kansas Weighs Fixing Flawed School-Funding Formula. Williamson, Richard // Bond Buyer;7/23/2003, Vol. 345 Issue 31683, p3
Reports that lawmakers in Kansas are considering another effort to fix a school-funding formula that has left large urban districts insolvent while small urban districts have enough money. Plans of Senate President Dave Kerr and House Speaker Doug Mays to create a committee to study the funding...
- School Tax Shot Down. Williamson, Richard // Bond Buyer;3/2/2004, Vol. 347 Issue 31832, p27
Reports that Kansas Governor Kathleen Sebelius' plan to solve her state's school funding woes was defeated in the Senate. Republican leaders' development of a school finance plan that would not require a tax increase.
- School Session. Williamson, Richard // Bond Buyer;2/17/2004, Vol. 347 Issue 31822, p37
Reports on the deliberation of the lawmakers to equalize school funding formula in Kansas. Warning of Governor Kathleen Sebelius to the legislators; Declaration of the school funding formula as unconstitutional by district Judge Terry Bullock.
- Unsigned School Bill. Watts, Jim // Bond Buyer;4/12/2005, Vol. 352 Issue 32109, p31
Reports that Governor Kathleen Sebelius did not sign the U.S. Legislature's school finance package in Kansas.
- With No Kansas School Finance Fix, Court May Have Final Say. Williamson, Richard // Bond Buyer;5/11/2004, Vol. 348 Issue 31881, p28
Reports on the plan of Kansas Governor Kathleen Sebelius to call for a special legislative session to address the issue of a school funding formula. Comments of Sebelius on the effect of the Legislature's failure to adequately fund the state's schools; District Judge Terry Bullock's issuance of...
- District Judge Orders Kansas Public Schools Closed Over Funding Flaw. Williamson, Richard // Bond Buyer;5/12/2004, Vol. 348 Issue 31882, p6
Reports on the order of judge Terry Bullock to close all public schools in Kansas. Frustration of the judge on the failure of the Legislature to correct a school funding formula that he declared unconstitutional; Comment of governor Kathleen Sebelius on the issue; Effect of the problem on the...
- Governor Leaves Out Mention of Lawsuit. John, Jessica L. // Education Week;1/18/2006, Vol. 25 Issue 19, p20
This article reports that Kansas Governor Kathleen Sebelius' State of the State Address on January 11, 2006, recognized the legislature's success in increasing fiscal 2006 education spending by $290 million over the previous fiscal year. Citing a cost study of educational spending that the...
- Kansas Governor Threatens Special Session for School Financing Issues. Watts, Jim // Bond Buyer;3/22/2006, Vol. 355 Issue 32344, p32
The article reports on the need for Kansas Legislature to adopt a multi-year expanded school financing plan by the end of March 2006 or come back in the summer of 2007 for the second special session in a row according to Kansas Governor Kathleen Sebelius. According to the governor, it is very...
- HHS announces Åš162M in awards to advance meaningful use of health IT. // Urology Times;Apr2010, Vol. 38 Issue 4, p38
The article reports on the announcement of the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Secretary Kathleen Sebelius on the awards given to U.S. states to help them facilitate health information exchange (HIE) and advance health information technology (IT).