With Full Funding for Now, Worries Focus on the Future
- Md. Legislature Approves Bill For Pension Changes. // Education Week;3/28/1984, Vol. 3 Issue 27, p3
The article reports on the approval of a legislation that will change the pension and retirement programs for school teachers and other workers in Maryland. The said bill will cap on cost-of-living increases in the pension program, minimizes benefits, and increases employee wages. The House made...
- Judge OKs Rhode Island Pension Accord. Burton, Paul // Bondbuyer.com;4/2/2015, p1
A judge approved a tentative settlement to most legal challenges to Rhode Island's 2011 law that overhauled pension benefits for state employees, said Gov. Gina Raimondo.
- North Carolina. // Bond Buyer;02/14/2000, Vol. 331 Issue 30828, p65S
Focuses on the economic conditions of North Carolina. Efforts to reduce taxes and build a strong economy; Goals to make health care affordable through the bond market; Provision of oversight of local finance; Priorities in private activities; State and local revenues; Data on total debt per capita.
- North Carolina voters soundly reject stadium bonds. Molis, Jim; Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;05/07/98, Vol. 324 Issue 30388, p40
Reports that the North Carolina voters have rejected the use of public funds to build a baseball stadium to lure the Minnesota Twins baseball team. Twins owner Carl Pohlad's letter of intent to sell the team to North Carolina; Impact of referendum's defeat on Minnesota.
- Sizing Up Compensation. Barrett, Katherine; Green, Richard // Governing;Aug2013, Vol. 26 Issue 11, p58
The article examines the impact of compensation on U.S. state governments. Information from the State Government Workforce project reveal the pay levels and compensation in Alabama, Florida, Minnesota and Pennsylvania. It cites the case of Tennessee as an example that shows the importance of...
- Illinois Officials Push for $16B Pension Deal. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;3/19/2008, Vol. 363 Issue 32839, p1
The article reports on the proposed $16 billion general obligation pension bond issue presented by Illinois finance officials at a legislative session in the U.S. Illinois chief operating officer John Filan said that the approval of the bond issuance would help the state move quickly should...
- Government Pension 'Millionaires' Outearn Private Sector. Weinreich, Gil // Investment Advisor;May2014, Vol. 34 Issue 5, p63
The article discusses a study of pension and social security expert Andrew Biggs of the American Enterprise Institute (AEI), a free-market-oriented think thank, comparing total retirement income of full-career state employees and average public employees in the U.S. Topics include the gap...
- Massive Liabilities Plus Politkal Paralysis Leave Plenty of Work to Be Done. Saskal, Rich // Bond Buyer;3/30/2006, Vol. 355 Issue 32350, Special section p72
The article provides an overview of the fiscal condition of California. According to the author, California is facing liabilities associated to the retirement system for its state and local government workforce. The California Public Employees' Retirement System was underfunded by $24.7 billion...
- Texas State Pension Funds in Solid Shape. Wentworth, Jeff // Bulverde Standard (Canyon Lake, TX);10/22/2008, Vol. 24 Issue 43, p6
The article reports on the status of the pension funds of teachers and state employees in Texas.