Raise Salaries or Cut Taxes? Politics May Swamp Surplus
- Surging Coal Prices May Help for Now, But-West Virginia's Pension Issues Persist. Ackerman, Andrew // Bond Buyer;3/30/2006, Vol. 355 Issue 32350, p32
The article reports on analysts' warning that the financial outlook for the double-A-minus rated West Virginia remains mixed despite the state's surplus revenue to meet its pension liabilities. The West Virginia Legislature has approved a $3.88 billion fiscal 2007 budget that uses the state's...
- Back in the Black. // State News (Council of State Governments);Oct2006, Vol. 49 Issue 9, p33
The article discusses the advantages of the growing national economy to state tax revenues in the U.S. Many states have reported improvements in tax revenues and have actually gained multi-million dollar surpluses. State officials have been diligent in closing a budgetary gap which allowed...
- Fiscal Holes Widening. // Latin America Monitor: Brazil Monitor;Feb2011, Vol. 18 Issue 2, p5
The article reports that general fiscal accounts in Brazil have been weakening, with falling nominal deficit and primary surplus.
- Looking Good: A $2B Surplus And OPEB Fixes in the Works. Vadum, Matthew // Bond Buyer;3/30/2006, Vol. 355 Issue 32350, Special section p68
The article provides an overview of the fiscal condition of Virginia. Analysts and state officials agree over the state's positive financial outlook due to strong tax revenues and a $2 billion biennial surplus. Steps have been taken by Virginia officials to address the expected changes brought...
- Surpluses Chip Away at a Mountain of Liabilities. Ackerman, Andrew // Bond Buyer;3/30/2006, Vol. 355 Issue 32350, Special section p69
The article provides an overview of the fiscal condition of West Virginia. The ability of West Virginia to pay its unfunded pension liabilities in 2005 was attributed to budget surpluses. The state has the policy of using excess funds for long-term liabilities rather than increasing government...
- Dividing up the surplus. // Finance Week;2/3/2003, p47
Reports on the distribution of retirement fund surpluses in South Africa. Benefit enhancements paid to executives; Amounts paid to some pensioners replacing post-retirement medical aid costs; Added years of service recognized without extra contributions.
- Governor: Alabama Facing Nearly $700M Deficit. Sigo, Shelly // Bond Buyer;12/3/2014, Issue 34220, p1
Alabama is facing a budget shortfall that could reach nearly $700 million in the next few years, according to Gov. Robert Bentley.
- Indianapolis Measure May Make Pension Deal Unnecessary. Devitt, Caitlin // Bond Buyer;2/22/2008, Vol. 363 Issue 32821, p3
The article reports that Indianapolis' $460 million pension obligation bond issue may no longer be needed under a measure which would have Indiana assume pre-1977 public safety pension liabilities recently carried by municipalities across the state. The Senate Tax and Fiscal Policy committee...
- Spending a Surplus. Watts, Jim // Bond Buyer;1/17/2006, Vol. 355 Issue 32299, p33
The article reports on the posting of a revenue surplus of 85 million dollars in Arizona. Such surplus will be available to the Legislature to cut taxes, raise state employee pay, fight illegal immigration and meet other legislative priorities. Almost 500 million dollars of the surplus can be...