Bond Scammer Pleads Guilty
- Edwin Torres Receives 7Â½-Year Sentence for Fraud. Cohen, Jackie // Bond Buyer;6/29/2006, Vol. 356 Issue 32413, p2
The article reports on the conviction of municipal bond seller Edwin Torres. He received a sentence of seven-and-a-half years in prison and three years of probation at a U.S. District Court hearing in Oakland. According to reports, Torres was pled guilty of nine counts of mail fraud and seven...
- Calif. Broker Indicted on 15 Felony Counts Linked to Muni Fraud. Saskal, Rich // Bond Buyer;3/29/2005, Vol. 351 Issue 32099, p28
Reports on the arrest on Edwin J. Torres on felony counts in Contra Costa County, California. Role of Torres, a broker, of defrauding investors by selling them nonexistent municipal bonds; Start of the investigation on Torres when SunAmerica Securities brought the matter to the authorities; Use...
- Kentucky v. Davis Decision: Principles, Not Protectionism. Sammons, Anthony // Bond Buyer;6/16/2008, Vol. 364 Issue 32900, p38
The article reports on the decision released by the Supreme Court on the case "Kentucky Department of Revenue versus Davis," which some legal pundits and bloggers immediately began decrying it as an example of judicial protectionism of the municipal bond industry. Basis of the court's decision...
- A Subtle Change In Muni Swaps. O'Leary, Christopher // Investment Dealers' Digest;4/21/2003, Vol. 69 Issue 16, p11
Reports on the U.S. municipal bond sector as of April 21, 2003. Strong new issue volume; Municipal bond swaps market players' use of the London Interbank Offered Rate (Libor) instead of the Municipal Swap Index; Reasons for the preference for Libor; Influence of 'non-traditional' investors on...
- Yields Rise 1 to 2 Basis Points; D.C. Sells $330 Million of GOs. Chelsa, Nicholas; Johnson, Anastasija // Bond Buyer;7/18/2003, Vol. 345 Issue 31680, p2
Reports on the rise in yields from New York City's municipal bonds on July 17, 2003. Sale of general obligation bonds by District of Columbia; Bonds offered in the market; Yields from other bonds.
- Munis Firm as N.Y. Opens Retail On $2 Billion Tobacco Financing. Chesla, Nicholas; Johnson, Anastasija // Bond Buyer;11/17/2003, Vol. 346 Issue 31763, p2
Reports on the trading of government securities in the U.S. on November 14, 2003. Retail orders in the municipal bond market; Trading of Treasury bonds; Major deals.
- MARKET SNAPSHOT: Tuesday, August 22. // Bond Buyer;08/23/2000, Vol. 333 Issue 30960, p2
Presents a table of the performance of United States municipal bonds and government securities as a whole as of August 22, 2000.
- MIDWEST INVISIBLE SUPPLY. // Bond Buyer;08/23/2000, Vol. 333 Issue 30960, p22
Presents a table of municipal bonds issued by Midwestern states of the of the United States as of August 23, 2000. Government obligation bonds issued by Illinois; Amount of prison bonds issued by the Indiana State Building Commission; Underwriters employed by the states.
- Muni Prices End Narrowly Mixed; Merrill Set to Price N.J. for Retail. Monsarrat, Sean // Bond Buyer;10/03/2000, Vol. 334 Issue 30988, p2
Reports on the performance of the United States municipal market on October 2, 2000. Linking of light trading to the stabilization of prices in the last week of September 2000; Dollar bond trading; Improvement of demand patterns; Rise in insurers' demand for high-grade intermediates.