THE QUINTESSENTIAL FORCE MULTIPLIER: THE INHERENT AUTHORITY OF LOCAL POLICE TO MAKE IMMIGRATION ARRESTS
- A DANGEROUS AND DEAD-END ROAD. Navarrette Jr., Ruben // Hispanic;May2006, Vol. 19 Issue 5, p12
The author opposes the use of local and state police officers to enforce federal immigration law in the U.S. Some people believe that it is the duty of law enforcement officers to arrest criminals including illegal immigrants. The switch of responsibilities between federal agents and police...
- Contractors Hire Illegal Workers. Frisch, Katherine K. // Government Procurement;Jun2006, Vol. 14 Issue 3, p4
The article reports on the appointment of illegal workers by contractors in the United States citing its implications on immigration laws in the country. Special agents from the Immigration and Customs Enforcement have arrested illegal workers who were building a fderal court facility in...
- Arizona's Immigration Law: A Test Case. Johnson, Fawn // National Journal;4/21/2012, p11
The article discusses Arizona' immigration law which the U.S. Supreme Court will address to determine the role of states in applying immigration law. The law requires police officers to check an immigration status of a person and arrest without warrants if the person is deemed deportable....
- Arizona Decides Enough Is Enough. Argento, Rob // USA Today Magazine;Jul2010, Vol. 139 Issue 2782, p28
The article focuses on the troublesome aspects of the immigration reform law in Arizona, in terms of states' rights and Federal law. The law, which makes it illegal to be in the state without proper immigration documentation papers, is the state's response to the failure of the U.S. government...
- Reining In Local Immigration Enforcers. Kingsbury, Alex // U.S. News Digital Weekly;10/16/2009, Vol. 1 Issue 39, p7
The article discusses the evidence collected by the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) on the impact of the 287(g) program that allows local and state agencies to enforce the immigration law. While the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is making changes on the legal agreements, the ACLU...
- Police officers arrested, fear being tortured and beaten. Mart�nez, Mariana // La Prensa San Diego;8/6/2010, Vol. 34 Issue 31, p3
The article reports on the arrest of 62 police officers by the military in Tijuana, New Mexico and were feared by families, lawyers, and human rights advocates of becoming victims of proceedings and torture.
- Suspect punched a hole in the wall at his mother's house. // Ellis County Press;5/24/2012, Vol. 21 Issue 7, p11
The article lists several arrests and court cases reported by police departments in the Texas area which include the arrest of Allen Harden, a hit and run incident, and alcohol consumption of minor Brian Spaniel.
- POLICE BLOTTER. // Collinsville Herald;7/13/2011, Vol. 53 Issue 56, pA2
This section offers police news briefs in Collinsville, Illinois including the arrest of a 19 year old resident of Gerson, Godfrey for alleged retail theft, the arrest of a 21 year old Skyline Drive, Collinsville resident for domestic battery and the arrest of Jamie A. Kite, Casey M. Hart and...
- POLICE BLOTTER. // Collinsville Herald;1/2/2013, Vol. 55 Issue 1, pA2
This section offers news briefs on arrests made by members of the Collinsville, Edwardsville and Madison County, Illinois police for various offenses as of January 2, 2013, including driving under the influence of alcohol, theft, and trespassing.