OKC Mayor Backs Istook
- The istook amendment: America's newspaper and political pundits just say no. // Church & State;Jul/Aug97, Vol. 50 Issue 7, p14
Editorial. Gives information on United States Representative Ernest Istook (Representative in Oklahoma) and his religious rights allies. Information on the Religious Freedom Amendment' to the United States Constitution; Views of critics.
- Bill to cut back nonprofit lobbying could affect ALA. // School Library Journal;Nov95, Vol. 41 Issue 11, p14
Reports that Republican (Rep) Ernest Istook introduced a bill to cut off federal grants to any nonprofit organization that spends roughly 5% of its budget for `political advocacy.' Requirements of the amendment; Effect on American Library Association.
- Star Turn. Greenblatt, Alan // Governing;Nov2005, Vol. 19 Issue 2, p88
Focuses on the trend in the U.S. in which real-life mayors and legislators are playing themselves in films and on television as of November 2005. Television programs that feature real-life mayors; Reason behind the interest of filmmakers in casting politicians; Disadvantages of politicians...
- Making amends. Boston, Rob // Church & State;May97, Vol. 50 Issue 5, p4
Reports on the efforts of the religious right to defend the Istook Religious Freedom Amendment sponsored by Representative Ernest J. Istook from detractors. Plans of the Christian Coalition to use Istook amendment for political activity.
- Why the Istook Religion Amendment should be rejected. // Church & State;May97, Vol. 50 Issue 5, p14
Enumerates and discusses issues of concern as to why the proposed `Religious Freedom Amendment' of representative Ernest J. Istook should be rejected. Includes mandatory giving of money to collection plates of houses of worship; Revision of the terms of the First Amendment; Coercion of students...
- Advocates cast wary eye on lobby-reform measure. Johnston, Robert C. // Education Week;10/11/95, Vol. 15 Issue 6, p19
Reports that a proposal to Congress by Representative Ernest Jim Istook could restrict how education and child-welfare groups advocate for their causes and raise money. Barring nonprofit groups and companies that receive federal grants from spending 5 percent of nongrant funds on political...
- Istook amendment '99: Old and not improved. // Church & State;Oct99, Vol. 52 Issue 9, p15
Editorial. Comments on Congressman Ernest Istook's Religious Freedom Amendment. Attack on the separation of church and state; Fostering of official programs of religious worship in public schools; Requirement of government to give taxpayer aid to sectarian schools and other religious...
- Hurricane Ernest and the Constitution. Lynn, Barry W. // Church & State;Oct99, Vol. 52 Issue 9, p23
Criticizes United States Congressman Ernest Istook's Religious Freedom Amendment. Meeting held by Istook at the Bible Way Church in Washington, D.C. to prime the media for Congress' consideration of the amendment; Religious activities that are permitted in schools and other public places; Other...
- The road to incivility: Could it be paved with good intentions? Lynn, Barry W. // Church & State;Feb98, Vol. 51 Issue 2, p23
Opinion. Comments on United States Republican Ernest Istook's proposed `Religious Freedom Amendment.' Details on the author's meeting with Republican Istook; Speculation on Istook's proposed legislation.