New truck body and trailer designs meet European environmental rules
- RIDE FACTORS. Skydel, Seth // Fleet Equipment;May2004, Vol. 30 Issue 5, p24
Reports that new and developing truck, tractor and trailer suspension technologies are addressing key issues of weight, durability, maintenance and comfort. Emphasis on reducing weight in suspension design; Expectations of trucking fleet managers; Use of advanced engineering technology.
- A DIFFERENT VIEW. Sawyer, Christopher A. // Automotive Design & Production;Feb2006, Vol. 118 Issue 2, p46
Presents information on a three-dimensional (3D) vision chip developed by engineers at Canesta Inc. that can both identify objects and determine their range. Cost effectiveness of the automotive vision technology; Ability of the chip to do the light demodulation/phase detection calculations in...
- How the technology works. Ricciuti, Alex // Automotive News;11/29/2004, Vol. 79 Issue 6123, p32B
The article describes two forms of tire-pressure monitoring systems. Direct systems use sensors inside each tire that read temperature and pressure. Indirect systems typically use data from existing sensors in the antilock braking system. The system compares vehicle speed to revolutions for each...
- Beyond Bearings. Visnic, Bill // Ward's Auto World;Aug2007, Vol. 43 Issue 8, p26
The article presents information on fuel efficient electronic innovations used in automobiles introduced by Timken Co. Many of the latest innovations demonstrate new initiatives of the firm to expand beyond its mature products. A shaft torque sensor uses Hall-effect technology to enable minute...
- WHAT'S NEXT FOR CAR DASHBOARDS. UNGERLEIDER, NEAL // Fast Company;Nov2013, Issue 180, p50
The article discusses innovations in automobile dashboards including application programming interfaces (APIs) to bring smartphone-style applications to dashboards and sensors for tracking eye motion, body language and the passengers.
- Cost, complexity loom as principal challenges to IVHS. Child, Charles // Automotive News;4/18/1994, Vol. 68 Issue 5547, p22
Discusses the challenges faced by developers of intelligent vehicles. Focus on low cost and simplicity; Advantages of intelligent vehicles; Safety; Changes in interior design; Costs. INSET: Problems IVHS could tackle..
- Four decades of technology at a glance. Hall, Jim // AutoWeek;07/13/98, Vol. 46 Issue 29, p68
Offers a look at some of the technological innovations automobiles have undergone. Information on the 1983 Pontiac Fiero; Features of the 1970 Citron SM; Details on the 1988 BMW Z-1; Additional cars mentioned.
- New models loaded with computer power. Krebs, Michelle // Crain's Cleveland Business;10/29/2001, Vol. 22 Issue 44, p20
Focuses on the popularity of telematic systems incorporated in the contemporary automobile models in the United States. Definition of the telematic system; Automobile models with technologically innovated communication system; Forecast on the increase application of automotive telematics.
- Cars of the future. // National Petroleum News;Feb94, Vol. 86 Issue 2, p9
Reports on trends in the development of future automobile models. Description of future models; Projected number of natural gas vehicles in use in the United States by 2000.