CONNECTING THE DOTS: SWITCHING AND VOD
- Opening Up 'QAMs' for Savings. Ellis, Leslie // Multichannel News;11/26/2007, Vol. 27 Issue 47, p30
The article features the edge quadrature amplitude modulation (QAM). As described, edge QAM is built to carry both video on demand (VOD) and switched digital video streams. It is considered a network resource because it can talk to at least two other devices; the session manager, which sets up...
- Digital video basics. Robin, Michael // Broadcast Engineering (World Edition);Jan2006, Vol. 48 Issue 1, p18
The article provides information on digital video. It explains the two requirements of the sampling frequency of the video signal. The pulse amplitude modulation results in a sequence of pulses whose amplitude is proportional to the amplitude of the sampled analog signal at the sampling instant....
- Elements of SDV. // Communications Technology;Oct2008, Vol. 25 Issue 10, Special section p8
The article offers information on several Switched Digital Video (SDV) elements including switched digital video session manager (SDVSM), edge resource manager and Edge quadrature amplitude modulations (QAMs) and SDV client. The SDVSM utilizes switched channels such as multicast address and...
- Session Resource Management: How to Slice the Pie. Hardin, Glen // Communications Technology;May2005, Vol. 22 Issue 5, p34
The article focuses on session resource management (SRM). Most of the current SRMs provided by the various video-on-demand (VOD) vendors implement a "least loaded" algorithm when determining where to set up the next VOD session. This implementation allows the system to balance sessions across...
- How Modulation Works. // IT Professional;Mar/Apr1999, Vol. 1 Issue 2, p24
Discusses how modulation works. Characteristics of analog waveforms; Representation by analog signals of digital data; Overview of quadrature amplitude modulation.
- High resonance frequency of push-pull distributed feedback lasers. Chen, Jianyao; Maciejko, Roman; Makino, Toshihiko // Journal of Applied Physics;6/15/1996, Vol. 79 Issue 12, p8914
Presents a small signal analysis on the high resonance frequency of push-pull distributed feedback (DFB) lasers. Information on the structure of the DFB laser; Comparison of the amplitude modulation response between the DFB device modulated as a single-contact laser and a two-contact push-pull...
- From Broadcast to Unicast. Adams, Michael // Communications Technology;Jun2008, Vol. 25 Issue 6, p18
The article reports on the delivery of switched digital video (SDV) and network personal video recorder (nPVR) services by the cable television industry in the U.S. It states that the deployment of SDV and nPVR models aim to address the increasing demand of customers concerning enhanced digital...
- Studios Pursue the Promise of Internet VOD. Arlen, Gary // Video Store Magazine;2/1/2004, Vol. 26 Issue 5, p3
Discusses the convergence of digital media software and hardware in the home. Factors to consider when looking at a new platform; Incentives to attract broadband video-on-demand according to CEO Jim Ramo of the Internet video-on-demand service owned by Hollywood studios.
- AM. // American Heritage Student Science Dictionary;2009, p12
A definition for the abbreviation "AM" is presented. It refers to amplitude modulation.