USAR Rigs Go Local
- Satellite Networks, Disaster Recovery and COOP. Philpott, Don // Homeland Defense Journal;Jul2007, Vol. 5 Issue 7, p28
The article discusses the importance of the transportable satellite broadband system used by the Maryland Urban Search and Rescue Team during the Hurricane Katrina rescue and recovery efforts in New Orleans, Louisiana. It describes how the system contributed to the team's effort to aid the...
- Louisiana Mission. Kent, Heather // Canadian Consulting Engineer;Oct/Nov2005, Vol. 46 Issue 6, p98
The article focuses on Doug Smith, a structural engineer and a founding member of the Vancouver, British Columbia-based Urban Search and Rescue Team, who, along with his team, rescued 117 people caught in the immediate aftermath of Hurricane Katrina in September 2005. Formed in 1995, the New...
- PRESIDENT WILSON RISES TO AN EMERGENCY. Reiling, Jennifer // JAMA: Journal of the American Medical Association;4/3/2013, Vol. 309 Issue 13, p1325
A reprint of the article "President Wilson Rises to an Emergency," which appeared in the April 5, 1913 issue of the "Journal of the American Medical Association" is presented. It discusses how U.S. President Woodrow Wilson offered the nation's help to communities stricken by floods and storms....
- Helping Hearts. // Time;2/23/1953, Vol. 61 Issue 8, p35
The article describes how the disasters in Great Britain and The Netherlands and the nations' willingness to share were welding the U.S. and old European allies into a special kind of comradeship. The U.S. joined the rescue and relief operations in The Netherlands while an Italian factory and...
- Israel sends aid to victims of deadly Serbia and Bosnia floods. // Jewish Telegraphic Agency: 1922 to present;5/18/2014, p1
(JTA) - Israel sent aid to help rescue efforts in flood-ravaged Serbia and Bosnia.
- Needed: limit on pilgrims. // Telegraph (Calcutta, India);6/25/2013, p1
The article reports that rescue work in Uttarakhand, India has been temporarily stopped due to rainfall in the region. It informs that there is no information on large number of people living in valleys who have been cut from food and medical aid. It reflects on the need to focus on issues such...
- Aftershocks in India. Omestad, Thomas; Sangwan, Soni // U.S. News & World Report;02/12/2001, Vol. 130 Issue 6, p32
Focuses on the earthquake which struck Gujarat, India in January 2001. Details of the earthquake and the damage it caused; Hindu tradition of cremation, freeing the souls of the dead so that they can be reborn; Stories of survivors; Rescue efforts.
- Post-Katrina/Rita Victims Granted Relief in Housing Discrimination Case. Livingstton, Lisette // Chicago Citizen - South End Edition;8/25/2010, Vol. 43 Issue 29, p10
The article reports on the decision of a federal court in Washington D.C. to grant awards to victims of hurricanes Katrina and Rita based on the cost of repairing the damage to their homes rather than its pre-storm value.
- The big one. Adler, Jerry; Nordland, Rod // Bulletin with Newsweek;08/31/99, Vol. 117 Issue 6189, p80
Attempts to find lessons which can be learned from the earthquake which occurred in Turkey on August 24, 1999. Estimated death toll; Geological explanation for the earthquake; Faults in building construction; Rescue efforts by the Urban Search and Rescue Team of Fairfax, Virginia; Warning that...