First-line treatment with colchicine reduced recurrent pericarditis
- Purulent pericarditis caused by malignant oesophago-pericardial fistula. Touati, Gilles D.; Carmi, Doron; Nzomvuama, Alphonse; Marticho, Paul // European Journal of Cardio-Thoracic Surgery;Nov2003, Vol. 24 Issue 5, p847
A case of purulent pericarditis with an unusual aetiology and a favourable outcome is reported. This patient presented with purulent pericarditis secondary to an oesophago-pericardial fistula caused by a squamous carcinoma of the oesophagus. A review of the literature revealed only a small...
- First line treatment with colchicine reduced recurrent pericarditis. Imazio, M.; Bobbio, M.; Cecchi, C. // Evidence Based Medicine;Apr2006, Vol. 11 Issue 2, p44
The article focuses on the results of a study on whether the addition of colchicine to conventional therapy with aspirin or prednisone reduce recurrence of pericarditis better than conventional therapy alone. There was lower recurrence rate in patients who received colchicine. No serious side...
- Commentary. Flather, Marcus; Collinson, Julian // Evidence Based Medicine;Apr2006, Vol. 11 Issue 2, p44
The article presents comments on a study on whether the addition of colchicine to conventional therapy with aspirin or prednisone reduce recurrence of pericarditis better than conventional therapy alone. However, the beneficial effects of colchicine may be smaller than estimated in the study....
- Drug Therapy and the Etiology of Systemic Lupus Erythematosus. Holley, Howard L. // Annals of Internal Medicine;Dec61, Vol. 55 Issue 6, p1036
Editorial. Comments on drug therapy and the etiology of systemic lupus erythematosus. Occurrence of antibody activity in plasma proteins to cell types of the human body during the course of the disease; Hydralazine syndrome; Delay in the diagnosis.
- Neutrophilic Eccrine Hidradenitis in a Patient with BehÃ§et's Disease. Mercader-García, Pedro; Vilata-Corell, Juan Jose; Pardo-Sanchez, José; Fortea-Baixauli, Jose Miguel // Acta Dermato-Venereologica;Sep2003, Vol. 83 Issue 5, p395
Focuses on the etiology of the skin disease neutrophilic eccrine hidradenitis (NEH). Characteristics of NEH; Information on various diseases with which NEH is associated; Discussion of association of NEH with chemotherapy; Therapeutic regimen of the patient.
- The Prevalence of Chronic Diarrhea Among Diabetic Patients. Lysy, Joseph; Israeli, Eran; Goldin, Eran // American Journal of Gastroenterology;Aug1999, Vol. 94 Issue 8, p2165
OBJECTIVE: The prevalence of chronic diarrhea in patients with type I and type II diabetes is uncertain, most data being available from tertiary referral centers. We report the prevalence and etiology of chronic diarrhea in 861 heterogeneous diabetic patients attending a primary care diabetic...
- Viral Myocarditis Diagnosis, Aetiology and Management. Kühl, Uwe; Schultheiss, Heinz-Peter // Drugs;2009, Vol. 69 Issue 10, p1287
Myocarditis is an inflammatory disease of the cardiac muscle caused by myocardial infiltration of immunocompetent cells following any kind of cardiac injury. Classic myocarditis mainly occurs as a result of the host's immune response against organisms that cause common infectious illnesses, as a...
- The situation and management of Clostridium difficile infection in Spain: an opinion document. Bouza, Emilio; Marín, Mercedes; Peláez, Teresa; Alcalá, Luis // Revista EspaÃ±ola de Quimioterapia;sep2013, Vol. 26 Issue 3, p261
No abstract available.
- Acute Rhabdomyolysis Associated With Troglitazone. Yokoyama, Masayoshi; Izumiya, Yoshiaki; Yoshizawa, Miyako; Usuda, Rika // Diabetes Care;Mar2000, Vol. 23 Issue 3, p421
Focuses on the appearance of acute rhabdomyolysis as a side effect of troglitazone. Case presentation of a diabetic patient undergoing treatment with troglitazone; Findings of the physical examination done; Effect of ethanol on the toxicity of troglitazone.