Filling the Void
- Gizzi on Politics. Gizzi, John // Human Events;3/13/2006, Vol. 62 Issue 9, p18
The article focuses on the retirement of California Representative Bill Thomas and his probable successors. State Assemblyman Kevin McCarthy and State Senator Roy Ashburn both signaled they will try to succeed the 65-year-old Thomas. McCarthy, now minority leader of the California Assembly, is...
- Not Much California Dreamin.'. Germond, Jack W.; Witcover, Jules // National Journal;2/20/99, Vol. 31 Issue 8, p504
Focuses on the weak political influence of the Republican Party in California. Political dominance of the Democratic Party in the state with the victory of Gray Davis as governor; Democratic senators who won in the election; Republican officials in the state.
- Gay Republican set to toss hat in the ring for California governorship. Huffington, Michael // Gay & Lesbian Times;7/31/2003, Issue 814, p26
Reports on the candidacy of openly gay U.S. Senator Michael Huffington in the California gubernatorial recall election to be held in October 2003. Nomination papers needed by Huffington; Political career; Other possible candidates for the state's recall election.
- A Case for Outing on All Levels. Signorile, Michelangelo // Advocate;Jun/Jul2010, Issue 1039, p24
In this article the author discusses the case of California Senator Roy Ashburn, who acknowledged his homosexuality publicly in March of 2010 after being arrested for drunken driving after an evening at a gay bar in Sacramento, California. In the article the author is critical of Ashburn's...
- On the Outs. Friedman, Ann // American Prospect;May2010, Vol. 21 Issue 4, p11
The article discusses the incidence of outings where the sexual preferences of U.S. representatives such as Larry Craig, Roy Ashburn and Eric Massa were exposed by the media. It notes the hypocrisy of anti-gay politicians as shown in their inconsistencies in their political position and private...
- Progress comes with forgiveness, not retribution. // Gay & Lesbian Times;6/10/2010, Issue 1172, p1
The article informs that some LGBT community members have expressed their disdain after California State Senator Roy Ashburn has said that he is a gay after opposing every gay rights measure in the state Senate since taking office.
- STATE OF THE STATE. Fine, Howard // Orange County Business Journal;2/16/2004, Vol. 27 Issue 7, p67
Reports on developments concerning politics and government in California as of February 16, 2004. Financier Bill Simon's plan to run for state treasurer in the 2006 elections; U.S. Treasurer Rosario Marin's quest for the U.S. Senate seat held by Barbara Boxer.
- The Debate. Reiff, Rick // Orange County Business Journal;9/29/2003, Vol. 26 Issue 39, p71
Presents a perspective on the political situations in California. Support for the California Broadcaster Association; Viewpoints on political leadership; Criticisms against politicians in California.
- ANOTHER VIEW. Darmiento, Laurence // San Diego Business Journal;8/9/2004, Vol. 25 Issue 32, p38
Focuses on the government reforms unveiled by Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger in California. Description of the governor to the Democrats; Aim of his remarks to close a state budget deal with recalcitrant Democrats; Consideration of his being outrageous as part of his political persona.