Battle Over Taxing Out-of-State Bonds Heads to Kentucky's Supreme Court
- Supreme Court Hears Arguments on Muni Bonds. // Money Management Executive;11/12/2007, Vol. 15 Issue 43, p1
The article reports that the Supreme Court in Kentucky heard arguments in a case seeking to crush a state's right to issue tax-free municipal bond for paper concerning its own state, but to tax out-of-state municipal bonds. The author notes that if the Supreme Court upholds the decision of a...
- D.C. Council Aborts Out-of-District Muni Bond Tax. Vadum, Matthew // Bond Buyer;11/8/2002, Vol. 342 Issue 31509, p5
Reports that District of Columbia Council terminated the planned tax on interest earned on municipal bonds on November 7, 2002. Utility of the money to be generated from the tax; Reasons for termination of the taxes; Projected money that would have been generated from the taxes.
- State Law & State Taxation Corner. Rutledge, Thomas E. // Journal of Passthrough Entities;Sep/Oct2014, Vol. 17 Issue 5, p29
The article discusses the definition of a limited liability company (LLC) and its deviation from the term "hybrids." Topics include a definition of LLC by the Kentucky Supreme Court in Turner v. Andrews, the tax classification when it comes to LLCs, and a discussion of LLC in relation to...
- Kentucky Files Davis Case Brief. Schroeder, Peter; Ackerman, Andrew // Bond Buyer;7/23/2007, Vol. 361 Issue 32676, p1
The article reports on the admonition by Kentucky attorneys to the Supreme Court in a brief filed concerning the elimination of preferential tax treatment for the bonds of 40 states. The state's brief comes after the court agreed to review a high-profile municipal bond, Kentucky v. Davis....
- Mounting Debt Weighs Down Chicago Balance Sheet. Shields, Yvette // Bondbuyer.com;7/12/2016, p15
The article discusses that the long-term principal and interest payment of the general obligation debt of Chicago, Illinois has swelled by $1.7 billion in 2015.
- Hillview, Ky., GOs Junked, Bankruptcy Considered: S&P. Sigo, Shelly // Bond Buyer;3/02/2015, p1
Standard & Poor's lowered its rating on Hillview, Ky.'s bonds four notches to BB-plus citing a potential $11.4 million damage assessment that could land the city in bankruptcy court.
- Ky. Court Passes On Key Case. DeSue, Tedra // Bond Buyer;8/21/2006, Vol. 357 Issue 32449, p1
The article reports that the Kentucky Supreme Court has declined to review a case in which the state's method of taxing interest on out-of-state bonds was found to be unconstitutional. Meanwhile, the state officials did not comment on the case. Furthermore, an attorney with Peck, Shaffer &...
- Utah Tax Law Changes Have Most Impact on Muni Treatment in '03. Briggs, Amanda // Bond Buyer;2/27/2004, Vol. 347 Issue 31830, p6
Examines the impact of Utah tax law changes on municipal bond issues in 2003. Taxation of interest earnings by individuals from municipal bonds issued out of state; Yield advantage of Utah municipal bond mutual funds; Rise in state tax revenues; Statements by Martin Mauro, a senior economist at...
- Six Months After Hearing Arguments, Justices Still Mum on Kentucky v. Davis. Schroeder, Peter; Funk, Lynne // Bond Buyer;3/31/2008, Vol. 363 Issue 32846, p4
The article reports that the U.S. Supreme Court has yet to rule on the Kentucky v. Davis case despite hearing oral arguments for nearly six months. The case involves the challenge of Kentucky couple George and Catherine Davis over the state's practice of taxing out-of-state bonds but not its own...