Local Sales Tax Bills Weighed
- Library Backers Seek Quarter-Cent Sales Tax Hike. Allen, Mike // San Diego Business Journal;01/25/99, Vol. 20 Issue 4, p10
Examines Proposition L, a measure that seeks to increase San Diego County, California's sales tax from 7.75 to 8 percent. Purpose of the sales tax; Proponents' outlook for the measure's passage; Estimated amount to be raised from the tax hike; Voter turnout expected for the referendum.
- Pass the tax, please. Dickerson, Linda A. // Executive Report;Oct97, Vol. 16 Issue 2, p3
Looks at the outcome of the November 1997 referendum on additional sales taxes in the United States. Priority projects for the proposed additional sales tax; Difficulties in and complexities of passing the tax.
- THIRD READING: BRITISH COLUMBIA. // Parliamentarian;2011, Vol. 92 Issue 2, p177
The article reports on the third parliamentary reading of the Harmonized Sales Tax (HST) Initiative Vote and Referendum Act of 2011 on May 4, 2011 in British Columbia which cancels the application of the Recall and Initiative Act to the citizen-led initiative petition process.
- SOME OPTIONAL 1% TAX INITIATIVES PASS; SOME FAIL. Russian, Amy // Wyoming Business Report;Dec2012, Vol. 13 Issue 10, Special section p1
The article reports that several optional sales tax initiatives were included in the November 2012 ballots, with four of them passed, either partially or entirely. In Fremont County, voters passed a general purpose tax which will raise an estimated 28 million U.S. dollars. A specific purpose one...
- Florida ponders tax on car hire. // Travel Trade Gazette UK & Ireland;5/12/2006, Issue 2716, p4
The article reports that the residents of three counties of Florida are going to vote for a proposal to add a two-dollar per-day tax to car hire rates to fund road maintenance. Travel agents have opposed the proposal because of its negative impact on visitors. Florida Governor Jeb Bush is not...
- OKLAHOMA: Two Out of Three Ain't Bad. Watts, Jim // Bond Buyer;10/18/2011, Vol. 378 Issue 33600, p9
The article reports on various referendum in Oklahoma including the approval of the 0.5% increase in sales tax of Edmond, approval of the 73.5 million dollars modifications in the 295 million dollars school bond program of Broken Arrow, and disapproval of the increase in property tax in Owasso.
- The tax debate. Strader, Jim // Executive Report;Oct97, Vol. 16 Issue 2, p8
States that Senator Melissa Hart supports the referendum for increase sales tax in Pittsburg. Benefits from the proposal; Provisions for the increased tax; Pittsburgh budget surplus.
- Arkansas governor supports wildlife management. Wells, Curt // Bowhunter;Oct/Nov97, Vol. 27 Issue 1, p44
Discusses Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee's support of a sales tax referendum with proceeds going to the Game and Fish Commission. Benefits of legislation to wildlife and fisheries conservation in Arkansas; Actions taken by Huckabee on October 1996 to support legislation.
- PROPOSITION 1 (SJR 13). // Trammel Trace Tribune (Tatum, TX);3/22/2007, Vol. 32 Issue 12, p5
The article discusses Proposition 1, which amends the Constitution to authorize the legislature to adjust the public school ad valorem tax or tax rates for taxpayers aged 65 years or older in Texas.