Mississippi Lawmakers OK Bonds for For-Profit Utilities
- MISSISSIPPI: Utility Debt Act OK'd. Sigo, Shelly // Bond Buyer;3/9/2006, Vol. 355 Issue 32335, p29
The article reports that Mississippi governor Haley Barbour signed the Hurricane Katrina Electric Utility Customer Relief and Electric Utility System Restoration Act authorizing the state to issue general obligation bonds on behalf of for-profit electric utilities. The act is designed to provide...
- Mississippi Lawmakers Locked Over Bonds; Barbour Might Veto. Sigo, Shelly // Bond Buyer;11/22/2004, Vol. 350 Issue 32015, p3
Reports on the debate among lawmakers concerning a bond bill in Mississippi. Provision of the bill that a percentage of construction contracts from most of the bond-funded projects must go to minority firms; Appointment of a joint conference committee that will resolve the differences;...
- MISSISSIPPI: Wind Pool Becomes an Issuer. Sigo, Shelly // Bond Buyer;3/29/2007, Vol. 359 Issue 32597, p9
The article reports on the approval of a bill by Governor Haley Barbour that will give the Mississippi Insurance Underwriting Association the authority to issue bonds to pay claims. The House Bill 1500, the Mississippi Economic Growth and Redevelopment Act of 2007 was passed to promote the...
- Mississippi Governor Backs $50M Bond Plan for Civil Rights Museum. Sigo, Shelly // Bond Buyer;1/17/2007, Vol. 359 Issue 32548, p6
The article reports on the plan of Mississippi Governor Haley Barbour to support using 560 million of state-issued bonds to build a National Civil Rights Museum. He also advised lawmakers to resist election-year spending pressures. The state financing was recommended by the Commission to...
- Shoring Up Mississippi Shortfall Fixes Loom; Bond Requests Double. Sigo, Shelly // Bond Buyer;2/5/2004, Vol. 347 Issue 31815, p1
Reports shortfall of revenues in Mississippi. Reformation program of Governor Haley Barbour; Bond authorizations; Fiscal budget of the state.
- Mississippi Human Services Deadline Looms. Sigo, Shelly // Bond Buyer;6/30/2004, Vol. 348 Issue 31916, p3
Reports that Mississippi Governor Haley Barbour has called lawmakers back to the capitol in Jackson for a second attempt at reauthorizing the state's Department of Human Services. Outcomes of the Legislature's first special session; Barbour's refusal to consider the House bill; Medicaid reform plan.
- LAW FIRM: GOV. SIGNS TWO MISSISSIPPI BILLS. // National Mortgage News;6/14/2004, Vol. 28 Issue 38, p12
Reports that Mississippi governor Haley Barbour approved two House bills concerning the mortgage banking industry. Publication of foreclosure sale notices in certain newspaper, amending the statutes to include foreclosure sale notices as legal notices in particular circumstances; Amendment of...
- In Mississippi, Relief Bills Taking Longer Than Barbour Had Hoped. Sigo, Shelly // Bond Buyer;9/29/2005, Vol. 353 Issue 32228, p3
Reports on the delay in the approval of the proposed hurricane-relief bills by the Mississippi Legislature. Continuation on the meeting of lawmakers in committees discussing a prospective legislation; Variation in the versions of the same hurricane-relief bill in each chamber of the U.S. House...
- Cooper obtains funds for plant. Moore, Miles // Rubber & Plastics News;2/23/2009, Vol. 38 Issue 15, p3
A summary is presented of a bill signed by Mississippi Governor Haley Barbour that revises the definition of the term project under Mississippi's Major Economic Impact Act to allow state aid to existing tire plants.