Michigan Governor's Budget Proposal Has Limited Bonding
- Michigan Gov., Lawmakers OK $400M of Tobacco Bonds. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;6/14/2007, Vol. 360 Issue 32650, p4
The article reports on the move of Michigan Governor Jennifer Granholm to sign a legislation that authorizes the state to issue $400 million of tobacco bonds as part of a larger legislative agreement aimed at wiping out an $800 million deficit in the current budget. The HB 4850 legislation...
- Agreement Between Michigan Governor, Lawmakers Sets Up Budget Negotiations. Carvlin, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;7/6/2006, Vol. 357 Issue 32417, p3
The article reports on the agreement between Michigan Governor Jennifer Granholm and state legislators to establish a $9.2 billion general fund budget for fiscal 2007 and a $13 billion school aid budget. The agreement aims to settle the differences between the budgets approved in each house. The...
- MARY KRAMER: Higher ed takes a beating at luncheon. // Crain's Detroit Business;2/24/2003, Vol. 19 Issue 8, p9
Reports that audience at the joint Women's Economic Club-Detroit Economic Club luncheon favored cuts in funds for higher education to help overcome budget deficit for fiscal year 2003-04 in Michigan. Response of the audience to possibility of reduction in funding for K-12 education; Shortfall...
- Mich. Lawmakers Reach Deal on K-12 School Budget. Sack, Joetta L. // Education Week;9/15/2004, Vol. 24 Issue 3, p24
This article informs that a last-minute deal has assured Michigan school districts that they will receive a slight increase in funding in the new fiscal year that begins on October 1, despite the state's $1.2 billion budget shortfall. While most Michigan districts were slated to receive a...
- Kent To Lose $1.1M From State. Czurak, David // Grand Rapids Business Journal;12/22/2003, Vol. 21 Issue 51, p3
Reports on the revenue sharing funds to be received by Kent County, Michigan in 2004. Reason for the decline in revenue sharing funds; Impact of the budget reduction initiative of Michigan Governor Jennifer Granholm.
- State weighs possibility of $200M budget problem. Lane, Amy // Crain's Detroit Business;4/5/2004, Vol. 20 Issue 14, p6
Michigan state officials last week said that a $200 million shortfall in the state's budget for the current fiscal year could be possible, because revenue has flowed into state coffers at a lower rate than expected. But what to do next is in sharp dispute. One option is the enactment of Governor...
- Transportation Commission to Weigh in on $12M of Detroit Airport Bonds. Carvlin, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;3/3/2003, Vol. 343 Issue 31584, p4
Reports on the plan of Michigan governor Jennifer Granholm to issue $12 million revenue bonds. Utilization of the proceeds from the bonds; Measures to reduce the state's deficit in fiscal 2003 budget; Proposed date for the state's budget for fiscal 2004 to be tabled.
- Triumph, then a storm. Lane, Amy // Crain's Detroit Business;1/20/2003, Vol. 19 Issue 3, p1
Reports on efforts of Governor of Michigan state Jennifer Granholm, to overcome the budget problems in the fiscal year 2002. Tax strategy followed by Granholm; Plans to appoint economic advisers to encourage business in Michigan; Appointments made by Granholm in state departments.
- Capitol hits brakes on tax plan. Lane, Amy // Crain's Detroit Business;4/14/2003, Vol. 19 Issue 15, p3
This article discusses the tax proposals under which about$ 100 million in business-and income-tax changes are sought by Gov. Jennifer Granholm. The U.S. Senate and House tax-committee chairs, beginning scrutiny of the$ 129 million in tax changes that the administration wants, said last week...