- UNANNOUNCED CHECK-UPS: Florida school district audits cafeterias. // FoodService Director;03/15/99, Vol. 12 Issue 3, p16
Reports on the implementation of a Five Star Quality and Performance Review by the Brevard County School District in Florida its school cafeterias. Explanation from Dawn Houser, food service director of the district; Scope of the review; What made the program successful; Benefits of the program.
- Going for Growth. Ramsey, Lindsey // FoodService Director;4/15/2008, Vol. 21 Issue 4, p52
The article offers information on how the decision of the foodservice department of Unified School District in Scottsdale, Arizona to began outside catering has helped the district generate extra revenue. Some of the catering clients have decided to participate in the National School Lunch...
- Food for Thought. Trainor, Charles K. // American School Board Journal;Nov2009, Vol. 196 Issue 11, p50
The article presents a reprint of the article "Food for Thought," by Charles K. Trainor, which appeared in the November 2009 issue of the journal. It focuses on the food service pitfalls, contract issues and other problems associated with School Lunch and School Breakfast, a food service program...
- Bright ideas to improve your business. Schuster, Karolyn // Food Management;Mar1999, Vol. 34 Issue 3, p36
Presents six proven strategies school food service directors (FSDs) can use to maximize use of their resources, develop their employees and streamline their organizations. Includes building relationships between foodservice staff and students; Encouraging employees' professional involvement...
- Runs Downtown Restaurant, Too: Knoxville, TN, Schools Feed Community Groups. Bond, Marian // FoodService Director;05/15/99, Vol. 12 Issue 5, p50
Focuses on the food service management at the Knox County School District in Tennessee. How the district operates; Evening meals provided by the district; How the district runs a downtown restaurant; Menus offered in the restaurant.
- What to Know: ACAP mtg. explores campus cash-ops. // FoodService Director;01/15/2000, Vol. 13 Issue 1, p14
Offers pieces of advice on designing or remodeling a campus foodservice facility. Primary considerations; Steps involved in developing the operation; Significance of customer relations to the success of the business; How to ensure faster services.
- TAKE-OUT IN SCHOOLS: Tactics for participation. Chater, Amanda // FoodService Director;05/15/2001, Vol. 14 Issue 5, p58
Suggests tips to on how can food service facilities in schools increase their diners. Employment of mobile serving carts; Packaging of take-out foods; Management of trash problems; Issue of safety and sanitation.
- `The key is to make gradual recipe changes'. Hirschfield, Jeff // FoodService Director;2/15/97 Supplement, Vol. 10, p9s
Reports on the application of gradual changes approach in changing recipes toward healthier foods for school food services in the United States. Enhancement of student-acceptance; Changes not recognized by students; Proposals for changing recipes; Promotion of vegetables by prepackaging for...
- Leading School FS into the Future. Watkins, Carolyn // Food Management;Jun2001, Vol. 36 Issue 6, p26
Reports on how Donna Wittrock, executive director of food and nutrition services for the Denver Public Schools in Colorado, improved the school system's food service. Restructuring of the school's food service department; Improvements in school food offerings; Major accomplishments.