News @ a glance
- BC physicians give province's health system dismal marks. Gray-Grant, Daphne // CMAJ: Canadian Medical Association Journal;9/19/2000, Vol. 163 Issue 6, p750
Reports on the frustrations of doctors in British Columbia with the perceived lack of health care resources in the province. Amount of time that people are on waiting lists for procedures, such as elective surgery; Results of a poll of doctors who graded the performance of various medical...
- 20 YEARS AGO April 1986. // Pulse;4/20/2006, Vol. 66 Issue 16, p19
The article highlights past events about medical care and general practitioners in Great Britain. Alan Dawson, a general practitioner, decided to quit football after suffering memory losses from heading the ball on April 12, 1986. There was a government initiative aimed at addressing the problem...
- GPs cut waiting times in secondary care. Smith, Nick // GP: General Practitioner;10/6/2003, p48
There is a school of thought that says hospital waiting lists are exclusively a secondary care issue. But GPs with a special interest (GPSI) in orthopedics and rheumatology are part of an initiative to cut waiting times for treatment in the north of England. PCT senior commissioning manager and...
- Tory plan sets stage for national referrals. // GP: General Practitioner;10/13/2003, p8
The Conservative Party plans to give GPs new powers to scour the country for the hospital with the shortest waiting lists if they return to power after the next election. No limits would be set on which NHS hospitals GPs could refer to under proposals unveiled at the Conservatives' annual...
- IN BRIEF. // BMJ: British Medical Journal (Overseas & Retired Doctors Edition;1/15/2011, Vol. 342 Issue 7789, p126
This section offers news briefs related to medical care in Great Britain, including the volume of hospital bed waiting in Ireland's public hospitals, introduction of a draft amendment to China's Law on the Protection of the Rights and Interests of the Elderly, and the findings of a study on the...
- Developing priority criteria for general surgery: results from Western Canada Waiting List Project. Taylor, Mark C.; Hadorn, David C. // Canadian Journal of Surgery;Oct2002, Vol. 45 Issue 5, p351
Focuses on the development of Western Canada Waiting List Project (WCWL) to improve the management of waiting lists. Plans to standardize clinical criteria; Concerns on the participation of physicians in assessing urgency; Adoption of pointcount measures in waiting lists.
- Reform the Swedish health services. Ham, Chris // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);1/22/94, Vol. 308 Issue 6923, p219
Focuses on the efforts in reforming the Swedish health services. Examination of alternative ways of financing and delivering health services; Use of integrated approach to the provision of health services; Alteration in the existing waiting lists for some hospital procedures.
- "Here we go up the waiting lists...". // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);11/3/90, Vol. 301 Issue 6759, p1014
Reports the list of patients waiting for surgical treatment in the hospital. Addition of medical staff for the solution of the problem; Decision of the ministers to save jobs in both public and private sector; Impact of economic policy for the maintenance of the medical services.
- Waiting lists. Spencer, Peter // Consumers' Research Magazine;Nov96, Vol. 79 Issue 11, p43
Examines the hospital waiting lists in Canada, based on a study by the Fraser Institute. Average waiting time before receiving treatment; Medical specialties with the longest wait for treatment; Total waiting time by specialty in 1995.