Dish Chief Ergen Is Still a Gambler
- The Dish King. Friedman, Wayne // Broadcasting & Cable;4/16/2007, Vol. 137 Issue 16, p43
The article presents a profile of Charlie Ergen, Chairman of the Board of the satellite television company, EchoStar Communications. Ergen's skill at applying existing technology to profitable use for his company is cited. His decision to become the first U.S. satellite TV firm to use the...
- EchoStar Toasts a Decade of Dish Network. Hogan, Monica // Multichannel News;3/20/2006, Vol. 27 Issue 12, p17
Reports on the 10th anniversary of Dish Network direct-broadcast satellite service launched by EchoStar Communications Corp. in 1996. Launch of a family-friendly tier; Plan of EchoStar CEO Charlie Ergen to pursue programming options as soon as programming contracts allow for it; Studio...
- Rocket man. // Broadcasting & Cable;10/13/97, Vol. 127 Issue 42, p78
Editorial. Talks about EchoStar Communications Corp.'s Charlie Ergen's hopes of delivering local television signals in the United States via his company's satellites. Permission sought from the government and local broadcasters; Big gamble for Ergen.
- ECHOSTAR REFOCUSES. Goldsmith, Jill // Daily Variety;7/20/2001, Vol. 272 Issue 34, p5
Reports on the growth plans of United States satellite television company EchoStar Communications Corp. under the leadership of its chief executive officer Charlie Ergen. Refocusing efforts after its failed merger talks with DirecTV; Profits in 2000; Stock performance.
- Personal Satellite TV. Antonoff, Michael // Sound & Vision;Jan2006, Vol. 71 Issue 1, p64
The article evaluates the PocketDish AV700 portable video player from Echostar and offers information on the product's performance, features, advantages and disadvantages, and price.
- HSN Shop By Remote Launches. Bohen, Colleen // TWICE: This Week in Consumer Electronics;7/2/2007, Vol. 22 Issue 14, p30
The article reports that home shopping television network HSN has partnered with EchoStar Communications and its DISH Network satellite television service to launch the HSN Shop by Remote interactive television (ITV) service in Saint Petersburg, Florida. Both companies claim to be the only live...
- DIRECTV LAUNCHES ITV. // Caribbean Business;12/20/2001, Vol. 29 Issue 51, p58
Reports the introduction of interactive television (iTV) by satellite television provider DirecTV into the local market in Puerto Rico. Provision of electronic mail, banking, video games, chat rooms and weather forecast by iTV; Replacement of DirecTV boxes with integrated-modem models; Use of...
- Set-top boxes. // Broadcast Engineering;Dec98, Vol. 40 Issue 14, p22
Focuses on digital-to-home (DTH) satellite television services. Electronic program guides; Role of conditional access and subscription management systems; Multicasting on DTH; Potentia of interactive television.
- Europe way ahead on sats, interactive TV. Westcott // Daily Variety;01/24/2000, Vol. 266 Issue 37, p10
Looks at the state of interactive and digital direct-to-home television in Europe. Massive investments by pay TV giants; Rapid take-up of direct-to-home satellite services; Competing platform Television Par Satellite; Competition in Spain; Interactivity in Germany.