DirecTV's Mad About Interactivity
- Cable Rivals Step Up to the Dish. Umstead, R. Thomas // Multichannel News;8/9/2004, Vol. 25 Issue 32, p4
Reports on the move by cable television operator rivals DirecTV Inc. and RCN Corp. to capitalize on Time Warner Cable's loss of New York Mets telecasts in August 2004. Complaints against Time Warner; Advertisement campaign released by the companies; Remarks from a Time Warner spokesman on the...
- Local Blackouts Irk 'Sunday Ticket' Holders. Umstead, R. Thomas // Multichannel News;9/22/2003, Vol. 24 Issue 38, p16
Discusses criticism from subscribers against the out-of-market game-blackout provisions implemented by DirecTV Inc. for the coverage of the National Football League (NFL) Sunday-afternoon games in the U.S. Agreement of DirecTV with the NFL regarding the coverage of games; Pricing scheme for...
- Brazil's Pay TV Game. Penteado, Claudia // Ad Age Global;May2001, Vol. 1 Issue 9, p32
Provides information on the different cable television operators in Brazil that provide pay-per-view services for sports programs and events. Viewership of soccer and extreme sports events; Pay-per-view rates from Pan-American Sports Network and SporTV; Advertisers of cable and satellite networks.
- TVKO Starts Slowly With 2001 Fight Slate. Umstead, R. Thomas // Multichannel News;01/29/2001, Vol. 22 Issue 5, p22
Reports on developments related to pay-per-view (PPV) broadcast of boxing in the United States as of January 29, 2001. PPV operator TVKO's plan to distribute the April 7, 2001, bout between Prince Naseem Hamed and Marco Antonio Barerra; Boxer Oscar De La Hoya's termination of his contract with...
- On Deck. // CableFAX Daily;9/30/2005, Vol. 16 Issue 190, p1
The article reports on the launching of regional sports cable network SportsNet New York in Spring 2005. Sports events that it will organize are listed. Star attractions of the network are described.
- TVKO's Next Pitch: Vargas-Trinidad. Umstead, R. Thomas // Multichannel News;11/27/2000, Vol. 21 Issue 48, p132
Focuses on the plans of pay-per-view operator TVKO for the Fernando Vargas-Felix Trinidad boxing match on December 2, 2000. Benefits to be derived from the multimedia promotional campaign; Advertising plans.
- MLB plays hardball with cable. Dempsey, John // Variety;2/5/2007, Vol. 405 Issue 12, p32
The article discusses a report that Major League Baseball (MLB) has turned down an offer to renew the television sports package Extra Innings on cable television, and is instead negotiating with DirecTV Inc. on a seven-year contract. The report has drawn negative reactions, most notably from...
- Late Breaking News. // Cable World (10427228);8/25/2003, Vol. 15 Issue 32, p5
Presents updates on cable television industry in the U.S. as of August 25, 2003. Resignation of Kim Kelly at Insight Communications; Findings of a survey of direct broadcast satellite (DBS) subscription; Information on a promotion of TBS cable network for its television coverage of college...
- Hopkins Welcomes HBO PPV. Umstead, R. Thomas // Multichannel News;10/8/2001, Vol. 22 Issue 41, p2
Reports the successful opening of Home Box Office Pay Per View (PPV) via the fight of boxer Felix Trinidad Bernard Hopkins. Delay of the fight; Pursuit for PPV events in lighter weight classes for 2002; Significance of the event.