House Near Consensus on National Franchise
- Telecom Draft Would Boost Bells. Eggerton, John // Broadcasting & Cable;9/19/2005, Vol. 135 Issue 38, p4
Reports on the franchise that telephone companies and cable over builders will get under a draft telecommunication bill issued by the U.S. House Commerce Committee in September 2005. Process of acquiring the franchise under the bill; Dispute between the cable industry and telephone companies...
- History has cable future. Brown, Rich // Broadcasting & Cable;4/22/96, Vol. 126 Issue 18, p47
Focuses on the results of a survey by Myers Reports on the most popular networks which might be added by cable system operators in 1997. Leading networks; Response of cable operators to must-carry provisions of the 1992 Cable Act; Percentage of respondents who would free two channels on their...
- Utility deregulation deluded. // Grand Rapids Business Journal;4/22/96, Vol. 14 Issue 17, p4
Opinion. Comments on the impact of the Cable Act of 1992 on the Grand Rapids, Michigan market. Benefit of increased competition due to deregulation of cable television; Area's lack of a natural free-market competitor; PHH Fantus study on Michigan utility rates; Impact on small businesses.
- No turning back now. Mason, Charles F. // Telephony;9/13/93, Vol. 225 Issue 11, p100
Discusses the effects the passage of Cable TV Act of 1992 will have on cable TV subscribers. Statistics from the Federal Communications Commission (FCC); Rate hikes; CATV system channel capacity problem; Judge T.S. Ellis ruling on the federal ban on the ownership of CATV systems by telephone...
- The Effects of Rate Regulation on Mean Returns and Non-Diversifiable Risk: The Case of Cable... Havenner, Arthur; Hazlett, Thomas W.; Zhiqiang Leng // Review of Industrial Organization;Sep2001, Vol. 19 Issue 2, p149
Investigates the effect of rate regulation on mean returns and non-diversifiable risk in the case of cable television. Stock price movements during events tied to the 1992 Cable Act, which reinstituted price controls on United States cable television operators; Effects of cable TV rate...
- Clinton opposes repeal of cable rate regs. K.M. // Broadcasting & Cable;3/6/95, Vol. 125 Issue 10, p9
Reports on the conflict between President Bill Clinton's Administration and congressional republicans over cable rate regulation. Administration's opposition to the wholesale repeal of cable rate regulation; Remarks by Assistance Commerce Secretary Larry Irving; Cable Act of 1992.
- Anti-competitive or competitive advantage? Levine, Shira // Telephony;05/26/97, Vol. 232 Issue 21, p72
Focuses on the controversy over access to television programming between cable television companies and emerging telephone company competitors in the United States. Petition filed by Ameritech with the Federal Communications Commission asking the commission to impose financial penalties on...
- High court takes cable indecency case. McConnell, Chris // Broadcasting & Cable;11/20/95, Vol. 125 Issue 47, p14
Reports on US Supreme Court's plan to examine rules that allow cable operators to reject indecent material offered on public and leased-access channels. Plans to hear a challenge to the 1992 Cable Act; Comments from cable executives on the Court's decision.
- Another cable must-carry loss. Boliek, Brooks // Hollywood Reporter;12/13/95, Vol. 340 Issue 11, p6
Reports that a federal appeals court clarified the constitutionality of the `must-carry' provisions of the 1992 Cable Act. Ruling allowing television broadcasters to receive compensation for signals picked up by cable operators; Plans of cable operators to appeal the ruling.