Ohio legislature passes school aid bill
- Central China University of Science and Engineering Adopts New Measure. // Chinese Education & Society;Jan/Feb2000, Vol. 33 Issue 1, p92
Reports changes in the educational grants programs for postgraduate students in Central China University of Science and Technology. Duties and responsibilities of postgraduates students; Plans to increase the allowance given to higher education students; Implication of the reform for economic...
- PERFORMANCE FUNDING PROGRAMS: Assessing Their Stability. Burke, Joseph C.; Modarresi, Shahpar // Research in Higher Education;Feb2001, Vol. 42 Issue 1, p51
State programs of performance funding for public colleges and universities are both popular and volatile. A previous article identified some characteristics of stable programs by comparing the survey responses of state and campus leaders from Tennessee and Missouri about their mature programs...
- Report fails to head off trial on Pa. school-finance system. Lindsay, Drew // Education Week;6/19/96, Vol. 15 Issue 39, p21
Reports on developments related to the school-finance lawsuit in Pennsylvania. Trial schedule in the summer of 1996; School districts' contention that poorer districts are getting enough aid; Continuation of negotiations for a settlement; Conclusion of commission appointed by governor Tom Ridge...
- Ohio struggles with school finance. // State Legislatures;Oct/Nov97, Vol. 23 Issue 9, p9
Reports on Ohio legislators' plan to reform the state school financing system by March 24, 1998, following a state Supreme Court decision last spring of 1996 which ruled that the school funding system was unconstitutional. Proposal to increase the state sales tax; Elimination of prevailing wage...
- Claremont school ruling levels the playground for kids, taxpayers. Nixon, David // New Hampshire Business Review;02/13/98, Vol. 20 Issue 4, p11
Opinion. Focuses on the ruling of the New Hampshire Supreme Court over the present system of financing public education in the state. Reactions to the ruling; Proposals to overrule the court's decision; Importance of funding fairness in the school system.
- Michigan's tuna surprise. Klein, Joe // Newsweek;9/6/1993, Vol. 122 Issue 10, p21
Opinion. Comments on the abolishment of the property tax in Michigan, proposed by Democratic state Senator Debbie Stabenow and signed into law by Republican Governor John Engler. The loss of $6 billion in revenues; A move toward a radically decentralized system of public-school choice;...
- Prepare for Tough Times Ahead. Ezarik, Melissa // District Administration;Jan2002, Vol. 38 Issue 1, p34
Discusses issues related to educational funding in the U.S. in 2002. Equity of funding systems; Relationship between funding and achievement levels; Alternate sources of funding; Lobbying for existing state funds.
- Choosing sides on Act 60. Cutts, Joe // Ski;Nov98, Vol. 63 Issue 3, p18E
Focuses on the issue surrounding Vermont's education finance reform law called Act 60. Purpose of the law; Criticism on the law; Comment from novelist John Irving.
- Ohio judge deems state's school financing insufficient. Goldsmith, Steve // Bond Buyer;03/01/99, Vol. 327 Issue 30588, p4
Reports on the ruling of an Ohio judge that the state has fallen short in its efforts to finance public education. Potential effects of the decision to the state's finances; Previous court ruling on the state's funding system.