Analysts: Asian crisis should have limited negative impact on muni market
- Building an International Financial Architecture for the 21st Century. Summers, Lawrence H. // CATO Journal;Winter99, Vol. 18 Issue 3, p321
Discusses the challenges involved in building a global financial architecture for the 21st century. Problems that caused the financial crises in Russia and Asia; Ways to build stable financial systems in emerging economies; Reduction of imprudent borrowing and lending.
- The Asian liquidity crisis. Chang, Roberto; Velasco, Andres // Working Paper Series (Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta);Jul98, Vol. 1998 Issue 11, preceding p1
Argues that the Asian financial crisis in 1997 and 1998 is a consequence of international illiquidity. Empirical indications of illiquidity; Background on the emergence of illiquidity to financial liberalization, shortening of the foreign debt structure and the currency denomination of assets...
- A Moral Sentiment. // Commonweal;10/23/98, Vol. 125 Issue 18, p6
Editorial. Comments on world leaders who are not being able to agree on how to remedy the 1998 global economic crisis. Moral dimension of world economy; Remarks from the president of the World Bank.
- Asian crisis impact studied. // Traffic World;07/13/98, Vol. 255 Issue 2, p55
Provides information on the study conducted by the Institute for International Finance to determine the impact of Asian financial crisis to leading industrial economies. Effects of the crisis to trade balance; Duration of the impact of the crisis; Other study conducted on Asian financial crisis.
- Developing and transition countries confront financial globalization. Knight, Malcolm // Finance & Development;Jun99, Vol. 36 Issue 2, p32
Examines the risks of financial globalization and its implications to developing and transition countries. Impact of the Asian financial crisis; Challenges presented by globalization; Deficiencies of financial markets; Importance of the financial oversight of financial institutions.
- Was There Front Running During the LTCM Crisis? Fang Cai // Working Papers -- U.S. Federal Reserve Board's International Fin;2003, p1
This paper uses a unique dataset of audit trail transactions to examine the trading behavior of market makers in the Treasury bond futures market when Long-Term Capital Management (LTCM) faced binding margin constraints in 1998. Although identities are concealed in the dataset, I find strong...
- Treasury prices lower as market watches Asia. Nicholson, Jonathan // Bond Buyer;11/25/97, Vol. 322 Issue 30280, p2
Reports that prices of government securities in the United States have declined in November 24, 1997 as the continuing financial problems in Japan focused fears of selling by foreign investors in search of cash. Yield on the 30-year bellwether bond; Long bond; 10-year note; Five-year note;...
- Should there be a speculation tax? Berube, Gerard // CA Magazine;Jun/Jul99, Vol. 132 Issue 5, p11
Provides information on world monetary crises. How speculators are viewed during crises; Proposal of a speculation tax to prevent monetary crises; Issues related to the proposal of such tax.
- The Idea of Crisis. Samman, Amin // Journal of Critical Globalisation Studies;Jun2011, Issue 4, p4
An introduction to the journal is presented in which the editor discusses various reports published within the issue on topics including the argument that International Political Economy scholars return to the 1970s economic crisis to better understand the world order and change, the increase in...