Enduring Optimism: Examining the Rig-to-Reef Bargain
- Surging demand forecast for offshore energy. Kliewer, Gene // Offshore;Feb2008, Vol. 68 Issue 2, p86
The article discusses some forecasts for the increasing demand of offshore energy. According to John Westwood of Douglas-Westwood Ltd., the offshore oilfield services sector experiences new levels of business of which some companies which have some backlog are now booking work for 2011. Westwood...
- Power for deepwater: multiply by two. Smith, Jennifer E. // Offshore;Dec98, Vol. 58 Issue 12, p24
Reports on the power required by the deepwater market. Status of offshore development costs; Demand for oil; Electricity required by drilling equipment; Power required by dual-activity drilling capability; Upgrading needed by aging drilling fleet.
- Offshore oil drilling expands our reach. Brandon // National Petroleum News;Jan2000, Vol. 92 Issue 1, p16
Presents information on the first offshore oil rig in history, called Mr. Charlie. Historical context of Mr. Charlie; Use of Mr. Charlie by Shell Oil in the first ever offshore oil drilling operation in 1954 off the coast of Morgan City, Louisiana; Dimensions of the barge; Features and...
- `Responsible' Norway plans to bury greenhouse gas at sea. Pearce, Fred // New Scientist;11/5/94, Vol. 144 Issue 1950, p8
Reports on Norway's plans of reinjecting tons of compressed carbon dioxide each day into sandstone rocks beneath the bed of the North Sea. Carbon dioxide as byproducts of Norway's natural gas industry; Goals and start of the project; Norway's adherence to the United Nations' Climate Change...
- Latest in drilling and logging technologies beat Tullich challenge. McDonald, Byron; Tribe, Ian // Offshore;Apr2003, Vol. 63 Issue 4, p82
Reports on the Kerr-McGee's assessment of the feasibility of the Great Britain continental shelf (UKCS) Tullich oilfield. Appraisal program; Evaluation of options regarding real-time logging suites and rotary steerable devices; Drilling of open-hole sidetracks to repeat horizontal sections at...
- New tool tests shutdown valves on offshore platforms. Hale, Stan // Offshore;Nov2003, Vol. 63 Issue 11, p82
Focuses on the importance of testing tools for critical shutdown valves (SDV) on offshore platforms. Procedures for testing and evaluating seat leakage of SDVs; Development and introduction of ValveWatch dynamic pressure sensors for SDV leakage; Programming connections of ValveWatch systems.
- WEST AFRICA. Akanni, Fred // Offshore;Mar2001, Vol. 61 Issue 3, p16
Presents news briefs on issues related to petroleum prospecting in West Africa as of March 2001. Plan of Vanco Gabon Group to set a deepwater drilling record; Exploration and production in Ghana; Wells discovered by ExxonMobil in Angola.
- California fumes over oil. Streisand, Betsy; Sinderbrand, Rebecca // U.S. News & World Report;06/21/99, Vol. 126 Issue 24, p22
Focuses on the controversy of whether it is acceptable to build offshore oil drills in California. Interests of the oil industries; Volume of oil expected to be drilled; Environmental activist response to the debate; View of the California Coastal Commission; Danger of another blowout such as...
- Rigged up. // Newsweek (Pacific Edition);08/24/98 (Pacific Edition), Vol. 132 Issue 8, p4
Notes Chevron's efforts to find alternative uses for offshore oil drilling rigs in California's Santa Barbara Channel. Details of a time-sharing scheme between the United States Pentagon and scientific laboratories; Other suggestions.