The Scottish Economic and Social History Society Research Essay Prize
- Experience and Enlightenment of the Fishery Mutual Insurance System in Asian Countries. Hongmin LI // Asian Agricultural Research;Aug2013, Vol. 5 Issue 8, p127
Asia is the major producing area of aquatic products. In order to maintain the stability of fishery, some Asian countries have established a mutual insurance system, which, however, shows distinctive features in different countries as a result of their different historical, economic and social...
- Sociology and Postmodernity. Zanotti, Angela // International Journal of Politics, Culture & Society;1999, Vol. 12 Issue 3, p451
Historically, sociology is a discourse about modernity, perhaps the one most intimately linked to the modern project. Both sociology and modernity are facing challenges. For the former, the challenge is to the epistemological foundations of the discipline and its capacity to represent adequately...
- FEATURES OF REPRODUCTION AND USE OF THE MANPOWER IN THE CONDITIONS OF INCREASE OF THEIR DIFFERENTIATION. Shevyakin, Andrey // Modern Research of Social Problems;2012, Issue 1, p916
In article modern conditions of reproduction and use of a manpower in regional economy are considered, factors of increase of social and economic differentiation in a society are allocated. Negative consequences of formation of a manpower in the conditions of their accruing differentiation are...
- LOSSES, GAINS, AND OPPORTUNITIES: SOCIAL HISTORY TODAY. Kocka, Jürgen // Journal of Social History;Fall2003, Vol. 37 Issue 1, p21
Discusses concerns on the basic principles of social-historical thought, fragmentation, and loss of identity in Germany. Characteristics of social history; Relation of social history with economic history; Details on the economic factors in explaining social, political, and cultural change.
- Introduction: Interdisciplinary war and culture studies in action. Kelly, Debra // Journal of War & Culture Studies;Aug2013, Vol. 6 Issue 3, p183
An introduction is presented in which the editor discusses various articles within the issue on topics including power and politics, social, economic, and political circumstances.
- The Contemporary Crisis in Intellectual History Studies. Wise, Gene // Clio;Fall75, Vol. 5 Issue 1, p55
An essay is presented on the contemporary crisis in the studies of intellectual history. It explores the development and reasons for the challenges faced by American intellectual history studies and its decline in the 1970s. It is stated that young scholars were not concentrating on intellectual...
- Essays in the economic and social history of South Yorkshire (Book Review). Walton, John K. // Bulletin -- Society for the Study of Labour History;Autumn77, Issue 35, p86
Reviews the book "Essays in the Economic and Social History of South Yorkshire," edited by Sidney Pollard and Colin Holmes.
- News. // PSA Journal;May2008, Vol. 74 Issue 5, p40
This section offers news briefs related to photography and activities of the Photographic Society of America (PSA). June 1, 2008 is the deadline for the EID Photo Essay Contest. Second Round of the PSA Nature Division Slide InterClub Competition was held at Photographic Guild of Detroit. All...
- A world of difference: the case of Java. Kumar, Ann // RIMA: Review of Indonesian & Malaysian Affairs;2006, Vol. 40 Issue 2, p3
The article looks at the genesis of modernity in Java and Europe. In Java, the technological, administrative and organizational advances of European modernity were used in support of profoundly reactionary socio-economic and political arrangements. The role that the discovery of a world of...